Why become a member? ×

What is the best DAW for Windows 10?

BottomE

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1467106960' post='3081174']
Seems I'm in the minority.
[/quote]

Not as much as I am being a [url="https://www.propellerheads.se/reason"]Reason[/url] user! ;)

I've occasionally thought about switching DAWs, but a lot of that thinking tends to be of the "grass is greener" variety - believing that you can improve your sound by using another software, when the truth is all DAWs sound the same (although of course their built-in FX can vary considerably).

As far as I know, Reason is unique in terms of its workflow - using a virtual 'patch cable' system to link things together, akin to using hardware (which even extends to virtual control voltages). It's a very visual way of working and makes perfect sense to me personally, which is why I've stuck with Reason over the years.

I also have a copy of Ableton Live Lite and NI Maschine, which I use occasionally (the latter I use more often for writing beats). But neither threaten to replace to Reason as my weapon of choice - purely because I can't be arsed learning a new workflow. I've also dabbled with Cubase and Reaper. Both good choices, but I prefer Reason - again, this has everything to do my own workflow preferences, and nothing to do with one software being 'better than' the other.

Currently, I'm considering ReWiring Reason into Ableton or possibly Logic, for the sake of collaborating with friends who use these other DAWs.

If you've never tried Reason, you really should. It's a [i]totally[/i] different beast to the earlier versions. Free demo available on the link above.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1467043059' post='3080719']
Yep, I'm not a Cubaser but I was going to ask if they do a cut-down version! Do you want to use third-party plugins? I know some of the (otherwise dandy) "entry-level" versions of the big DAWs don't support third-party plugins (but most have an excellent array of stock plug-ins).
[/quote]

Just found out that you CAN use third party VST's etc.

Steinberg just released three teaser videos for 'Elements'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTts5PF7KI&list=PLcZ1vtdmuI2NBZceqzODSjxVLs1z1faJE&index=1

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1467144261' post='3081521']
Thanks for all the ideas. Like a kid in a sweet shop with all the choice.
[/quote]

Try them out! Seriously.

I think pretty much every DAW software offers a demo version or a free trial period. Make a list of those that you're interested in and demo them. It's the only way to make sure that you end up with a system that's right for [u]you[/u]... because whenever this question gets asked, people always recommend whatever DAW they use themselves - and what works for them might not be the best solution for someone else.

So get demo'ing. And let us know where you end up :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1467187535' post='3081692']
Try them out! Seriously.

I think pretty much every DAW software offers a demo version or a free trial period. Make a list of those that you're interested in and demo them. It's the only way to make sure that you end up with a system that's right for [u]you[/u]... because whenever this question gets asked, people always recommend whatever DAW they use themselves - and what works for them might not be the best solution for someone else.

So get demo'ing. And let us know where you end up :)
[/quote]

this.

give several a try and find what works best for you :)

Been doing a bit of research into DAW's, since my bundled copy of Cubase LE 8 stopped working (problems with the eLicenser more than the software!), decided to give the PreSonus Studio One v3 Artist a go. The reviews reckon it's easy to pick up, which will be handy...