Why become a member? ×

What is the best DAW for Windows 10?

BottomE

Hi folks

Simple question though the answer may not be?

Just got a nice new laptop running Windows 10 and i'd like to install a new compatible DAW. I've always used Cubase in the past and whilst comfortable with it there are loads of features i never use. Also i'd like to see if there is a free option?

Main use of DAW is for practice so would like to be able to:[list]
[*]Import audio tracks
[*]Have midi features
[*]Run VSTs
[*]Soft Synths
[*]Effects
[/list]
Here is an article listing the "best" free DAWs: [url="http://www.musictech.net/2015/10/the-5-best-freeware-daws/"]http://www.musictech...-freeware-daws/[/url]

Recommendations welcome.

Thank you

I think you'll get a long list from users as it can be quite a personal thing over which one thinks is better over another that seemingly looks exactly the same on paper. Work flow or indeed just the arrangement of functions within the app can either make or break it.

I use Macs myself now so have ended up using Logic Pro X more often that not - but for my cross-platform DAW that I still love, I use Reaper by Cockos. It features everything in your list bar an extensive library of soft-synths, but that said, there are plenty of free options of those too which will get you started.

I'm surprised to see Reaper wasn't on the list you posted (as you can download it for free, though I think it is more than worth it's low price!). It runs on both Windows and Mac, the online user forum is brilliant, the manuals actually make sense and there are plenty of tutorials online too.

Oh and recently added, you can notate in the DAW too.

Edited by dood

Head on over here for some grand advice: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248509-beginners-guide-to-home-recording/ including links to a load of free VSTs (including soft synths). Here's a whole thread dedicated to free VSTs too: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/77603-free-vsts/

I use Reaper too and find that it does pretty much anything you can ask of it. It's also updated very regularly and you can run the fully-functioning demo version for as long as you like to see if you like it. A licence is quite cheap too if you decide it's the one for you.

Grab yourself a copy of Computer Music magazine too. They have a fair amount of free software on their cover disc. I believe the current issue has a synth for free (http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic)

If you still fancy Cubase, why not try 'Elements', the cut down version.
Still, very, very usable, with a reasonable amount of Instruments and FX.
You don't need a USB dongle either.
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/line_up/cubase_elements_8.html

Better still - The fully working Trial version can be used for 30 days without any registration.

Firstly, thanks for pointing out the article Mornats and hats off to Skol303 for a really excellent post.

Tempted to look at Elements as its the safe option and i'll probably be able to access my old projects. That said, new laptop and fresh approach means its the ideal time to try something new....

Another modest vote for Reaper. It costs nothing to try it out, alongside others, and compare. If it's not chosen, just un-install, no loss. If it wins out, it's not at all expensive. It must be worth at least looking into, no..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1466964248' post='3080075']
Another modest vote for Reaper. It costs nothing to try it out, alongside others, and compare. If it's not chosen, just un-install, no loss. If it wins out, it's not at all expensive. It must be worth at least looking into, no..?
[/quote]

I concur.

Went to plug in my old trusty Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. Took a look on their website which says that it is supported with a convenient link to download the drivers. Duly downloaded and installed (as administrator just in case). Plugged in via USB and not working :unsure:

Looked on Device Manager, then manually pointed the "update driver" routine to the relevant folder but said no driver files found...

I'd hate to have to part with this Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - its been a rock. Any ideas? Interweb shows lots of other peeps happily connecting immediately.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1466965566' post='3080096']
Went to plug in my old trusty Focusrite Saffire 6 USB. Took a look on their website which says that it is supported with a convenient link to download the drivers. Duly downloaded and installed (as administrator just in case). Plugged in via USB and not working :unsure:

Looked on Device Manager, then manually pointed the "update driver" routine to the relevant folder but said no driver files found...

I'd hate to have to part with this Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - its been a rock. Any ideas? Interweb shows lots of other peeps happily connecting immediately.
[/quote]

Did you reboot too? If not, sometimes drivers won't ...ummm.. drive until you do :)

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1466966829' post='3080111']
Fixed. Initial driver was for a later model of same device. Unfortunately the serial number has rubbed off the base of my unit so couldn't ID it properly. Just installed correct drivers and the little beast is on straight away :-)
[/quote]

Ahhh phew! Excellent!

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1466959996' post='3080019']
Bit nervous about moving away from Cubase as have used it for years but its too expensive and i don't use most of the features...
[/quote]

FWIW I was in the same position, having primarily used Cubase for nearly 20 years, I got sick of the expense involved with keeping it up to date so I downloaded the fully functional Reaper free trial, then paid for it as it does everything I need for a much lower cost than Cubase.

To be fair, I still find the Cubase UI a little easier (some of this is probably just familiarity) but Reaper is very good, and also extremely good value, so well worth giving it a try.

Sonar by Cakewalk, definitely.
[url="http://www.cakewalk.com/"]http://www.cakewalk.com/[/url]

It's always been made specifically for Windows and is extremely powerful and flexible. I've used Sonar in the studio for six years now and I can't see past it, especially for Windows.

Reaper is good too, but personally, I really hate how it looks. The GUI isn't particularly user friendly and I really don't like the way FX application works.

Edited by Light Grenade

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1466960832' post='3080034']
If you still fancy Cubase, why not try 'Elements', the cut down version.
Still, very, very usable, with a reasonable amount of Instruments and FX.
You don't need a USB dongle either.
[url="http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/line_up/cubase_elements_8.html"]http://www.steinberg...elements_8.html[/url]

Better still - The fully working Trial version can be used for 30 days without any registration.
[/quote]

Yep, I'm not a Cubaser but I was going to ask if they do a cut-down version! Do you want to use third-party plugins? I know some of the (otherwise dandy) "entry-level" versions of the big DAWs don't support third-party plugins (but most have an excellent array of stock plug-ins).

Edited by ras52

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1467043059' post='3080719']

Yep, I'm not a Cubaser but I was going to ask if they do a cut-down version! Do you want to use third-party plugins? I know some of the (otherwise dandy) "entry-level" versions of the big DAWs don't support third-party plugins (but most have an excellent array of stock plug-ins).
[/quote]

Only use the full version, so not totally sure.
But, I seem to remember reading on the Steiny Forum that 3rd party VST's and VSTI's are supported.

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1467042786' post='3080716']

Reaper is good too, but personally, I really hate how it looks. The GUI isn't particularly user friendly and I really don't like the way FX application works.
[/quote]

i agree, it does look a bit hideous, but i find it helpful. the fact you dont rely on fancy graphics for plugins means you really have to use your ears reather than swtiching a graphical knob to a certain position.

Another vote for Reaper! Bought the full version (at $60,- that`s almost nothing) - and not missing anything yet. I used to run Cubase but switched because I got sooo annoyed by the instabilities on Win10 introduced solely by the whole copy-protection-dongle-s**t. The Reaper guys just rely on the customers being fair and buying it after (maybe three years ;-)) of evaluation. There is no copy protection. I like this.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1467106960' post='3081174']
Seems I'm in the minority.

I'm a protools user, have been for ages. I sometimes miss use logic though (no mac)
[/quote]

A minority of at least two! And there is actually a free version of PT now, but by all accounts it sucks!