Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Cabs

dove

Can anyone enlighten me of the differences between the Phil jones 4 x 5" cabs. My understanding,I asked the uk distributor,is that the C4 is a newer lighter version of the 4B and uses exactly the same piranha speaker.
The 4B's larger cabinet and weight produce a frequency range of 35hz-15kz.The considerably lighter C4 has a range of 30hz-15khz. What I don't understand is why the 4B is 25% more expensive.Why would you pay more for a bigger heavier cab which doesn't go as low as the C4? Am I missing something.
I'm looking to return to Phil Jones 5" speakers for a tighter more focused sound.I traded my flightcase 150 for an
EA doubler and EA 12" cab which sound great but in the real world of noisy bars I am constantly battling a muddy
sound.
Figured a change of cabs might help.Will need 2 to get down to 4ohms or maybe go for a C8,which specs 25hz-15khz.
Regardless of all the specs any real world experience of either C4/8 or 4B with DB would be appreciated.

many thanks

Frequency range and quality of tone are not one and the same mate. The lighter cheaper cab may theoretically go lower, but you need to ask how well it dies so and how relevant that extra range is in a gig situation. I'd go for the heavier cab myself, IME lightweight is always a compromise at one or more levels sound wise

I can only imagine that the 4b is more expensive to make. It has 4 recesses on top into which the feet of a stacked cab fit (the C4 doesn't). The 4b is physically larger and substantially deeper, thus you would imagine it'd produce deeper lows.

I've run upto 4 x 4b's with DB and never found it lacking in lows. In fact I've had more issues with taming the low end (especially at medium to high volume), and end up cutting the lows from about 80Hz to 100Hz typically. Had I not already bought the 4b's (before the C4 was ever released) I would've opted for the C4 instead.

Thanks Chris,long time! That was my gut feeling i.e bigger,heavier=better. It's hard to get solid advice from dealers.Any view on a single 8x5" cab versus 2 no. 4 x 5". More flexible yes but I always need 4ohms for both my EA and AI heads.

Edited by dove

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1466959523' post='3080010']
I can only imagine that the 4b is more expensive to make. It has 4 recesses on top into which the feet of a stacked cab fit (the C4 doesn't). The 4b is physically larger and substantially deeper, thus you would imagine it'd produce deeper lows.

I've run upto 4 x 4b's with DB and never found it lacking in lows. In fact I've had more issues with taming the low end (especially at medium to high volume), and end up cutting the lows from about 80Hz to 100Hz typically. Had I not already bought the 4b's (before the C4 was ever released) I would've opted for the C4 instead.
[/quote]

Thanks zero 9, not hung up on the frequency response really just trying to decide between the two.Fair point about the construction cost.I thought maybe there was a design concept for both cabs that was aimed at different uses.I guess an AB comparison would be the real test,but a little impractical!

Edited by dove

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1466959523' post='3080010']

[/quote]

I think the point about taming excessive bass is spot on, I always suspect that lighter cabs do this less well?

What does 'deeper lows' mean in the context of the PJB specs that suggest the lighter cab goes lower

[quote name='dove' timestamp='1466959644' post='3080013']
Thanks Chris,long time! That was my gut feeling i.e bigger,heavier=better. It's hard to get solid advice from dealers.Any view on a single 8x5"
cab versus 2 no. 4 x 5". More flexible yes but I always need 4ohms for both my EA and AI heads.
[/quote]

Hey Julian, for me flexibility is king, especially given the weight and size of these (PS we're now back in Canterbury - in fact I'm doing beers with Ali Atkin as we speak - let's catch up sometime?)

• 2 weeks later...