Why become a member? ×

Boss TU-3S

Kev

Can someone explain why this is so much more expensive than a Tu-3?

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/boss-tu-3s-chromatic-tuner

The Waza craft one looks cool, and the true bypass switch is very attractive, but otherwise seems like a lot of money, it's not even built in Japan, rather 'inspected'.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1467025564' post='3080515']
How do you switch it on/off, or is it just on all the time!? I think that'd annoy me.
[/quote]

It's always on

Its just bizarre.

I get people want more space, and usually to meet demand companies like TC, Korg etc have released their mini pedals at the same price. This hasn't even got a switch, and its £20 odd more! I have no idea who would buy this? Due to its odd little format, it doesn't save anywhere near as much space as the other mini offerings do, and they have the advantage of a footswitch and the ability to mute the signal chain. Odd move.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467034173' post='3080621']
Its just bizarre.

I get people want more space, and usually to meet demand companies like TC, Korg etc have released their mini pedals at the same price. This hasn't even got a switch, and its £20 odd more! I have no idea who would buy this? Due to its odd little format, it doesn't save anywhere near as much space as the other mini offerings do, and they have the advantage of a footswitch and the ability to mute the signal chain. Odd move.
[/quote]

This is meant as an option for there Es-8 and 5 or in the tuner out of volume pedal etc

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1467094948' post='3081066']

This is meant as an option for there Es-8 and 5 or in the tuner out of volume pedal etc

Andy
[/quote]

But the TU-3 would work in these circumstances, as would all the other through tuners on the market by boss, Korg etc. I don't get what gap this is filling?

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467097984' post='3081087']
But the TU-3 would work in these circumstances, as would all the other through tuners on the market by boss, Korg etc. I don't get what gap this is filling?
[/quote]

I guess they thought some folks would like the idea of TU-3 reliability, but with a smaller footprint and always on. But I concur, I can't see why.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1467107277' post='3081179']

I guess they thought some folks would like the idea of TU-3 reliability, but with a smaller footprint and always on. But I concur, I can't see why.
[/quote]

Absolutely, but surely not at a higher price!

Ah well, each to their own, I'm sure they will sell well!

I would imagine they'll be knocking them out for less than a standard TU-3 if they don't sell as well as they hope. I was thinking about getting a polytune clip to shrink the pedalboard, but I really like the mute that a 'normal' tuner pedals give you, and you're right that there are now plenty of good quality smaller footprint ones around.

On the price... The TU-3 list price when it first came out a out 5 or so years ago was £75-80. I've only seen them at about £60 for the last few months. It could be they've dropped the price to undercut the Polytune which must have lost them a shed load of sales over the last few years at a price point similar to the old TU-3 price.

As to the mini TU-3, the lack of a mute function would rule it right out for me. But if I had a pedalboard that featured a vol pedal...? Maybe, but I don't. The price seems a bit cheeky given the smaller size and lack of foot switch.

Not been aware of the Waza range before. A new Boss thing I guess, but how much better can am already industry standard in line tuner get with some tighter QA'd resistors? And double the price of the standard model? I smell snake oil!

Okay, I'm annoyed.

Iv just wired up a super compact new pedalboard (metro 16) and will struggle to fit a tuner pedal on it. I also don't have much use for a muting function, so would rather it was just a tuner plugged into the line out of one of my pedals.

This tuner fits the bill perfectly.

FFS! If it were £30 or so then I would be in, but for £75.... :(