Why become a member? ×

Floppy strings

Hi guys,

I've got the Tony Franklin signature precision which I absolutely love, except the fact that The strings just seem to be a little bit loose when tuned to standard. They are hard to slap as there is no stability, and I feel like it is making the overall time more trebley. Problem is I love low action for all the quick stuff, but I've heard this can have an affect on string tension and tone. I've got a babicz bridge on there (previous owner put it on) if that could be causing any issues.

Any advice?

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1467023215' post='3080468']
Hi guys,

I've got the Tony Franklin signature precision which I absolutely love, except the fact that The strings just seem to be a little bit loose when tuned to standard. They are hard to slap as there is no stability, and I feel like it is making the overall time more trebley. Problem is I love low action for all the quick stuff, but I've heard this can have an affect on string tension and tone. I've got a babicz bridge on there (previous owner put it on) if that could be causing any issues.

Any advice?
[/quote]

No, the action height/setup will not effect string tension in any real way, a higher action may slightly increase perceived tension on your left hand as you'll fight to fret a note and it may slightly increase break angle. But the actual tension in the string will remain the same.

To increase this tension the answer is as the others have said, a heavier gauge set of strings or a stiffer feeling string.

Edited by Manton Customs