Why become a member? ×

3D Printing pickup covers / handmade pickup covers

Dood

Funnily enough I was thinking something similar yesterday - I've just bought some chrome vintage style T-Bird pickups to go in a project bass, the pickups are a tiny bit smaller than the hole that's there and I thought the chrome pickup rings would be enough to cover the gap, but they just need to be a tiny bit bigger... So I had an idea to design and print some little black spacer plates to go under the chrome rings. I assume places exist where you can send them the 3D model and get the goods back in the post?

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1467127698' post='3081361']
We have facilities for this at the university I teach at, but the workshops are shut until September. If you've found nothing by then, give me a shout.
[/quote]

You're a star! Thanks. I've no idea (yet) about 3D modelling and how I'd go about getting the covers to be exactly as I'd like. In that respect, it's a big ask!

Go to http://www.shapeways.com/

It was originally for prototypes and templates but folk are using them for products. Bit pricey for me though.
Another thing is if the shape is drawn then saved as .dwf anyone with a laser cutter machine can cut them out.

Plenty of free 3D software out there

https://www.blender.org/

• 2 weeks later...