Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire

LZD56

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1467310530' post='3082771']
It's a shame they didn't keep Igor Khoroshev in the band for longer.
[/quote]

Igor was sacked after an incident involving some female security guards in montreal. I believe he was charged with sexual harassment of some sort. Shame cos he was indeed a very good keyboardist and one of the few to add backing harmonies.
Back on topic, 'On the silent wings of freedom' from tormato is one of my all time favourite tracks. Lots of Chris doing what he does best.
I don't listen to much after Big generator. Talk is fairly 'meh' and IMO there's too much billy Sherwood and Chris takes a decided back seat from Talk onwards although there are some special moments on the ladder.
Fly from Here has only had one listen and I've not even bothered to hear the most recent album .

The Ladder always reminds me of the computer game "Homeworld" which Yes recorded the title song for. And if you're interested,the re-release of The Buggles' "Adventures in Modern Recording" contains early demo versions of most of the "Fly from here" album.

• 5 months later...

I do too. I think looking back it probably was more of a co-leader project with Andrew Jackman as his orchestration is a big part of it but Squire sings and plays so well on it.

Also hurrah for no guitar to let the arrangements and his bass shine through...

Bill Bruford rocks on it too...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1467123489' post='3081324']
I've never really listened to Yes, and therefore know little about Chris Squire. A lot of people obviously rate him, I should probably check him out.
[/quote]

He was a game changer. Have a listen and prepare to be amazed. Weather you are into the genre or not his playing was a revelation if you consider how long ago,say, the Yes Album was recorded.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1481389205' post='3192000']
One of the interesting things about Squire is that almost nothing he does is actually hard to play. It's just that he and his bandmates were such great writers and arrangers. His ideas were very personal and creative.
[/quote]

Thats the secret of greatness. His lines are not that difficult, its his note choice and unusual placement that makes the music, and he did it first

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1481389205' post='3192000']
One of the interesting things about Squire is that almost nothing he does is actually hard to play. It's just that he and his bandmates were such great writers and arrangers. His ideas were very personal and creative.
[/quote]Watched Miguel do The Gates of Delirium afterwards and I must say it looked tricky. I can't even find the timing and that includes most of Fish out of Water.

Agree with above comments about lines not that hard to play but I'd caveat that with some of timings are tricky and add in some pretty complex harmony vocals and you have a sophisticated musical capability.

We haven't mentioned his tone too much in this thread yet. I've posted this a number of times in other threads but here again is his gloriously squelched distort 'o' rick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwhMw5lwzNg (Not the Wal in the picture)

I remember watching an old video where he was interviewed about his life and technique. He came across as a guy who hadn't slavishly practiced the instrument, but thanks to years of hard gigging, a brilliant, musical pair of ears and some early training as a chorister, everything he did was interesting and melodic. And that tone...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't played a Ric in years but yesterday I was working on one, giving it a set up and new strings. Once I had finished, couldn't resist running through a few CS bass lines, Long Distance Runaround, Starship Trooper and Perpetual Change. I had fun :)

I love the not difficult statements. Since when has difficulty had much to do with creativity and musicianship? Most semi decent guitarists now would say what Hendrix played was "Not difficult". Its not the point, Hendrix played it over 40 years ago when it was a revelation. The same with Chris. Its the note choice, placement and timing, and that tone that make it very special.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1493292152' post='3287179']
I love the not difficult statements. Since when has difficulty had much to do with creativity and musicianship? Most semi decent guitarists now would say what Hendrix played was "Not difficult". Its not the point, Hendrix played it over 40 years ago when it was a revelation. The same with Chris. Its the note choice, placement and timing, and that tone that make it very special.
[/quote]

A very good point :)

[/quote]+1.

[/quote]

+2.
My all-time favourite. Thankfully I actually got to tell him too and he seemed quite touched. Never quite took in his death, partly because it came on the heels of so many others and partly because I was in the middle of a breakdown at the time. Still can't really believe he's gone.

Close to the Edge for me. The soaring, hypnotic line in that just kills me every time. But then pretty much every track is a masterclass in tone and note choice.