Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire

LZD56

yes, that's a year gone very quickly. Still a huge sound in my ears today and for many years.

There's probably a legion of bc readers on the edges of their seats ready to give recommendations if asked... (Fragile, The Yes Album, Relayer would be my top three albums)

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1467123489' post='3081324']
I've never really listened to Yes, and therefore no little about Chris Squire. A lot of people obviously rate him, I should probably check him out.
[/quote]
A lot of people, including myself, would recommend Relayer. Personally I also rate Drama although a lot of Yes fans disown that album due to it featuring Trevor Horn on vocals instead of Jon Anderson.

A fantastic interviewee; I had the pleasure three times.

Remember him discussing pre-Yes band the Syn supporting the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Marquee and revealing that Noel Redding couldn't master 'Hey Joe' at the soundcheck.

Squire and Hendrix would have been some combination!

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1467129866' post='3081378']
Personally I also rate Drama although a lot of Yes fans disown that album due to it featuring Trevor Horn on vocals instead of Jon Anderson.
[/quote]

I think it's a great album. although I have a friend who is lifelong Yes fan and still refuses to listen to it.

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1467147794' post='3081554']

I think it's a great album. although I have a friend who is lifelong Yes fan and still refuses to listen to it.
[/quote]

Saw the Drama tour with Horn & Downes (ex-Buggles) in Brighton the year the album was released. There were 'fans' that night booing because of the line up changes following Anderson's departure. Go figure!

Same in Newcastle. Shame really as it was actually a great gig. Little dabs of roger dean stage furniture here and there too. think it was the first time we saw the little white MPC Electra X620 Outlaw Bass on stage.

Still sad... took me a while to listed to Yes again after he passed away. Re. recommendations, I think 'Relayer' is probably his most technically impressive playing but I might be a hard listen for a newbie... 'To be over' is beautiful though right off the bat. I'd go 'The Yes Album' first probably.

I saw the Drama tour too at Deeside Leisure Centre. Hugely impressed despite no JA and RW....

A year ! yea that was quick.
"His solo album 'Fish out of Water' gets regular play time on my turntable. "
its funny during that time when all yes members were doing their solo projects, the one i thought was the best was alan whites Ramshackled for lots of reasons, the bass playing by colin Gibson is top draw and just perfect for that LP a credit to colin
http://alanwhite.net/album/ramschackled/
anyway...

"Personally I also rate Drama although a lot of Yes fans disown that album due to it featuring Trevor Horn on vocals instead of Jon Anderson."

I did too after a few bad albums from yes this seemd to have direction, i caught trevor singing on that tour at deeside leisure centre. i thought he did a great job, big boots to fill and all that.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1467129866' post='3081378']
A lot of people, including myself, would recommend Relayer. Personally I also rate Drama although a lot of Yes fans disown that album due to it featuring Trevor Horn on vocals instead of Jon Anderson.
[/quote]

Drama is the only Yes album I still listen to.

I still regularly listen to the Yes Album and Fragile.

Today my lovely wife treated me to a CD of The Ladder :) Never heard it before, only played it through once so far but I think it's going to be another fave. Certainly some cracking bass work on there.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1467302980' post='3082706']
I still regularly listen to the Yes Album and Fragile.

Today my lovely wife treated me to a CD of The Ladder :) Never heard it before, only played it through once so far but I think it's going to be another fave. Certainly some cracking bass work on there.
[/quote]

The Ladder is a very good album, far superior to "Open Your Eyes" or "Magnification" in my opinion. It's a shame they didn't keep Igor Khoroshev in the band for longer.

Edited by RhysP