Why become a member? ×

New Fender Mustang PJ at Namm

project_c

• 1 month later...

Looks really cool.

I have a P-Bass Junior which is shorter than a 30" scale and has a full P-pup which makes it sound really full when compared to the original pups on a Mustang.

Great addition with the J-pup, harmonics are going to pop out instantly.

Any idea of the price in the UK (I haven't checked thr video so sorry if they mention a street price or something)

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1471789194' post='3115861']
Needs a maple fingerboard though.
[/quote]

Totally agree with this. They're doing 3 colours, but no maple option. I don't get the thinking behind that, unless it's to see whether these sell before they offer more options.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1472334872' post='3120476']
The J pickup ruins it for me. In theory you could either build or buy a pickguard (tort!) that is routed for Mustang pickups, and get the bass back to normal Mustang specs by degrees. Unfortunately that J pickup is always going to be there! Not sure why they had to add the J pickup.
[/quote]

I agree with this too, I don't know if turning this into a PJ will suck out all the Mustang character and make it sound like a standard but slightly duller than normal PJ.

When I first heard about these I thought I was going to buy one for sure, but I'm not fully convinced that these are not just intended for beginners and guitarists who don't care about the potential issues above.

Edited by project_c

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1472396819' post='3120789']

Mustangs are seriously small basses, especially if you come from the P or J camps. The headstock looks bigger on them as Fender use conventional machine heads, so cannot really shrink them any smaller. I've not played a Mustang for a while, but I remember that it felt very much like a 4 string guitar, because most shortscale basses I've tried have been semi-hollow and had huge bodies.
[/quote]

I think the headstock/tuners isn't noticed as much with mustangs normally. I think the combination of a full headstock and full size pickup set (rather than the standard smaller spilt coil) on this specific model make the body look like its shrunken and throws the visual proportions quite a lot!

• 1 month later...

I played one in a shop yesterday for 10 mins or so. It felt lovely - really liked the neck! But it was a noisy shop through an amp I'm unfamiliar with - it actually sounded pretty good despite this, but I would like to demo another in better conditions before I take the plunge. Ideally I would want it to replace my Mexican precision which nails the sound I want, but for some reason i've never really gelled with the bass itself.