Why become a member? ×

Chrome finish

BrunoBass

Hi all, I'm sure I saw another thread some time ago regarding this, but I've searched and I can't find it, so here goes.

I'm trying to find someone to apply a chrome or mirrored finish to a Jazz or Precision body (I haven't decided which yet). Can anyone recommend someone to do this? I've found a few companies on the internet who advertise the service but on closer inspection no longer do. Similarly I've contacted a few local car bodyshops that offer a chrome finish, however as soon as I mention that I want it on a guitar body they decide they don't want to do it (I don't know why...)

I understand it's probably a bit of a ball ache to apply properly. Any recommendations gratefully received!

Have you thought about companies the do vinyl wrapping for cars?
I have seen complete chrome wrapped cars and they looked pretty sensational.
A friend of mine does vinyl for a living and has done a couple of guitars. Problem is he is Manchester based and there would have to be some sort of seam where front and back join.
Here are a couple of guitars he did.
[attachment=222508:psychbass1.jpg][attachment=222509:Captain America.jpg]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467193361' post='3081747']

IMHO, if SIMS no longer offer that as an option, there is probably a very good reason for it which means you may struggle to find anyone that will and/or find it quite expensive as a custom finish.

Did they say why they don't do it any more?
[/quote]

No, on the website it says 'unavailable'.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1467191511' post='3081734']
A friend of mine does vinyl for a living and has done a couple of guitars. Problem is he is Manchester based and there would have to be some sort of seam where front and back join.
[/quote]

A wrap is certainly an option, as long as it has the clear coat over the top. I don't mind if it just laps over the edges of the body onto the back, as long as the edges of the wrap don't lift.

I've witnessed on multiple occasions that the chrome finish is highly unreliable - some turn out good, some turn out bad... and it isn't a particularly hardwearing finish... I suspect Sims pulled out of the deal because it's not worth the hassle fending off those people who expected a perfect mirror like finish.

For those that know about such things - can a near chrome finish be achieved with a particular type of silver paint? I appreciate you won't achieve that exact mirror finish that you would with chrome paint but can you get something that's close?

I used to work in a chrome plating business.
Chroming wood, would be a similar process to aluminium. You would need to coat the wood in something that the Nickel and chrome would stick to.
If the finished article takes a knock or similar, chances are the coating on the wood would let go, then it would start to flake off.
Difficult thing to accomplish.
Warwick did it, I don't know how good it was.

When you've worked as much as I have, in electro plating, the phrase, 'That would good painted' is never far from the lips

Mexican Jazz - full body and headstock, using £12 worth of car wrap offcuts and a hairdryer. Bit basic to say the least, but pretty effective.

[attachment=222520:IMG_0689.jpg] [attachment=222521:IMG_0684.jpg]

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1467225234' post='3082128']
Mexican Jazz - full body and headstock, using £12 worth of car wrap offcuts and a hairdryer. Bit basic to say the least, but pretty effective.

[attachment=222520:IMG_0689.jpg] [attachment=222521:IMG_0684.jpg]
[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm looking for, looks awesome. Does it have a clear coat over the top?

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1467229231' post='3082172']

That's exactly what I'm looking for, looks awesome. Does it have a clear coat over the top?
[/quote]
Shouldn't need one. If it survives on the body of a car, a bass body should be a cakewalk. The designs my mate has done, which are prints, survived without a protective coat.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1467191511' post='3081734']
[/quote]

Impressive work.

No clear coat, basically prepared body, applied wrap via hairdryer heat and stretched to suit, removed protective top layer and bob's your uncle.

In all seriousness it was really done off the cuff as a rough test piece and other than one seriously hot/sweaty gig which took its toll and slightly tarnished some of the front fascia - it still looks pretty cool 2 years on.

[quote name='mxm' timestamp='1467238369' post='3082253']
No clear coat, basically prepared body, applied wrap via hairdryer heat and stretched to suit, removed protective top layer and bob's your uncle.

In all seriousness it was really done off the cuff as a rough test piece and other than one seriously hot/sweaty gig which took its toll and slightly tarnished some of the front fascia - it still looks pretty cool 2 years on.
[/quote]

Did you cover the back too, or just lap it over the edges?

Funnily enough I just did a tbird pro the other week. Only a quick rush job, I didnt strip the hardware as it was just for an evening. Ive left it on though. Just car wrap.
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/6E798693-2436-4462-8CA0-95A12E6E4D50.jpg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/6E798693-2436-4462-8CA0-95A12E6E4D50.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/9287A812-C61F-4F87-A7F0-D46AF2D76D40.jpg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/9287A812-C61F-4F87-A7F0-D46AF2D76D40.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/EE5A5CBF-CE4D-4F71-B2AE-3B19915155D9.jpg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/EE5A5CBF-CE4D-4F71-B2AE-3B19915155D9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467326134' post='3082943']

I'm quite interested in how you've managed to maintain the Fender logo on the headstock of this bass. It's hard to tell from the angle shown. Or have you cut around it?
[/quote]

Re-applied a fresh decal.

FWIW Warwicks Chrome finishes aren't actual chroming. It's some sort of special laquer, contains silver apparently... I'm guessing it's pretty pricey though!

Here's a very very brief vid on their youtube;

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlCQPy7_bvM[/media]