Why become a member? ×

Really don't know what bass to get

jassbass

I'm really unsure what bass to get,Ive got one cheapish jazz,I've had to cut right back to buy PA etc for new band. I'll have £400 maybe upto £500 at a struggle.I've lusted for a pbass but not sure. I play the usual pop rock,funk,blues
I've been through alot of basses in last few years.what will I do lol

[i]"I've been through alot of basses in last few years"[/i]

What did you have? What did you like? What did you hate? - e.g. pickups, active/passive, headless, skinny neck, 2 octave neck, fretless, 4/5/6 strings, different weights, different size frets, different body shapes (e.g. a slab 'Ray or P bass vs. the contoured version).

Obviously if they were all passive Jazzes of roughly the same weight with the same number of strings, similar shape neck profile etc. then the above won't be all that useful!

If you can come up with a set of things you'd like to get - or something to avoid (e.g. if you hate thin necks or the look of a headless) then you may refine your search.

Oh and go used if you want to get maxiumum bang per buck.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1467199842' post='3081825']
[i]"I've been through alot of basses in last few years"[/i]

What did you have? What did you like? What did you hate? - e.g. pickups, active/passive, headless, skinny neck, 2 octave neck, fretless, 4/5/6 strings, different weights, different size frets, different body shapes (e.g. a slab 'Ray or P bass vs. the contoured version).

Obviously if they were all passive Jazzes of roughly the same weight with the same number of strings, similar shape neck profile etc. then the above won't be all that useful!

If you can come up with a set of things you'd like to get - or something to avoid (e.g. if you hate thin necks or the look of a headless) then you may refine your search.

Oh and go used if you want to get maxiumum bang per buck.
[/quote]
4 or 5 string,passive or active, weight is no issue
Your right used is better choice

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1467203038' post='3081873']
4 or 5 string,passive or active, weight is no issue
Your right used is better choice
[/quote]

If weight is no issue you have a lot more options - including 5 strings increases this even farther.
As you have a two pickup bass already I'd reccomend a two (or if you can find it three) pickup bass with active/passive switching ideally - not because a passive bass is bad but to have the extra options. If it doesn't have active/passive switching I'd always suggest bringing a backup bass to a gig. Lots more to go wrong electronically with an active vs. a passive. I'd look at used Ibanez, Yamaha, Cort and other "amazing bang per buck" makers first!

The bass that has surprised me the most is the Sandberg Basic I bought from this very forum. It's like a Stingray but with a smaller lighter body, faster neck, active/passive switching and a warmer sound due to the pickup being a little bit further from the bridge. I bunged some TI flats on it too last week. Plugged straight in without any pedals, in active or passive mode, it's the best sounding bass I've owned and now I want a fretless to go with it!

They don't pop up used very often but there is the cheaper yet very similarly specced Sandberg Electra M4 out there, I've seen the odd one on eBay come up cheap.

Actually I just realised who the OP is. I have seen you go through many basses in the last few months and I think you are the problem, not the basses. You have no idea what you want and don't appreciate fully what you had, you need to really work on establishing that before doing anything.

What helped for me was actually getting several diverse basses, even if they were a bit cheaper than I could afford in one instrument.