Why become a member? ×

FL Studio (Producer Edition) DAW...opinions anyone?

NancyJohnson

Been giving some thought to upgrading my DAW; currently using the now unsupported Adobe Audition 3.0. It's been fine but I'm just getting to the point where I find it a bit limiting...stuff it won't do out of the box, although I've formulated the odd workaround to achieve what I want it to do.

A little reluctant to go the free-DAW route, just wondered whether anyone is using FL Studio Producer Edition. It seems reasonably priced (£120-ish, with free lifetime updates). I'm generally recording on my own, sometimes with either the guitarist or singer. Preference for looped Beta Monkey .WAV live drums (no clue how to do MIDI drums!).

PC is an old, but well specced Dell machine, Windows 10.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

FL Studio is pretty good, but it's definitely aimed at the electronic production market. A lot of the features on it are tailored for beat-making and midi production, however for a project studio it might be what you are looking for. I reckon there are a better options out there, especially for 'band' recording and production.

Reaper is very powerful free software, but personally I hate how it looks and I don't find it very user friendly. I've used Sonar by Cakewalk for the last 6 years and couldn't be happier. It's definitely as powerful as Pro Tools and the likes, comes with a ridiculous plugin bundle and is tailored for Windows systems. They have a few versions to choose from, Artist, Professional & Platinum, all of which are capable of producing high quality stuff. I'm pretty sure if you purchase before the end of August they are offering free lifetime updates.

Cakewalk used to be owned by Roland, but it's recently shifted hands to Gibson & TASCAM.

[url="http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions"]http://www.cakewalk..../SONAR/Versions[/url]

Edited by Light Grenade