Why become a member? ×

Another effects order thread...

gs_triumph

Hi,

I have a wee selection of effects now and was just wanting to gauge opinion on the order. I've read a fair few threads and there seems to be many differing opinions! Which is leading to my curiosity to just check with you guys.

I currently have in this order :

Bass >
Dean Markley tuner
Ebs octabass
Ebs multicomp
Ebs multidrive
Dha valvetone bass
Ebs unichorus
> Amp

I am looking to add an envelope filter, probably an ebs bassiq - I do like their simple two knob design!

What would you change in the above order and where would you drop the envelope filter in?

Cheers,

G.

Edited by gs_triumph

Looks pretty good to me, though I'd probably plonk the chorus earlier in the chain, maybe after the Multicomp. Prefer to grit the chorus than chorus the grit.

On the envelope filter, I'd stick it before the compressor to ensure the filter saw more dynamics in the signal...

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1467212653' post='3081988']
Hi,

I have a wee selection of effects now and was just wanting to gauge opinion on the order. I've read a fair few threads and there seems to be many differing opinions! Which is leading to my curiosity to just check with you guys.

I currently have in this order :

Bass >
Dean Markley tuner
Ebs octabass
Ebs multicomp
Ebs multidrive
Dha valvetone bass
Ebs unichorus
> Amp

I am looking to add an envelope filter, probably an ebs bassiq - I do like their simple two knob design!

What would you change in the above order and where would you drop the envelope filter in?

Cheers,

G.
[/quote]

If I had your pedals, I'd set them up like this ...

Tuner ... first up, so your effects don't play havoc with it.
Compressor ... I prefer mine at the start of the chain, as it gives my effects something more even to play with.
Octaver ... this will behave better AFTER the compressor
Multi-drive ... works best after the octaver, and before the envelope filter, especially if you like using combinations of the 3 for synthy sounds.
Envelope filter ... see above
Valvetone ... i'd have one of your overdrives before, and one after, the filter. Put the one that you're pushing most after the filter.
Chorus ... modulation works best after everything else for me.

Totally subjective, obviously. The right way is the way that YOU like best.

have fun!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1467214692' post='3082007']
On the envelope filter, I'd stick it before the compressor to ensure the filter saw more dynamics in the signal...
[/quote]

That's a good point.

Maybe get yourself an envelope filter like the MXR, with a radical sensitivity control. That way you still get good results, post compressor.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1467220401' post='3082070']
You might also like to try the compressor upstream of the octave pedal, sometimes it cleans up the signal and helps it to track better.
[/quote]

Truth!

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1467223322' post='3082104']

That's a good point.

Maybe get yourself an envelope filter like the MXR, with a radical sensitivity control. That way you still get good results, post compressor.
[/quote]
Or one with an effects loop, so you can have it track your envelope at one part of your chain, and then filter the signal at a different part.

thanks guys, some great feedback there.

I'll definitely try compressor in front of the octaver and see how that works for me.

Likewise, once I get the envelope filter i'll experiment a bit. I'm kinda sold on the EBS as I like the simplicity of operating them however I will check out the MXR.

In the mean time i'm going to move the DHA to after the chorus as Trevor suggests... just coz I've never tried it!

Edited by gs_triumph

• 2 weeks later...

Have moved the comp to first after tuner, before the octaver... cha-ching! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"]:sun_bespectacled:[/url] it tracks better at the lower end now.

Got a BassIQ today... have popped it in after the octave for now as we are jamming tonight. Will hopefully get the chance to have a play around with pedal order at the weekend. And I've shifted the DHA on... liked it a lot in my home set up but it got really lost when at rehearsal rooms with the rest of the band. - as an aside, does anyone else find the TC BH500 to sound very muddy? :unsure:

Will probably have a look for another drive pedal soon enough... Bass Soul Food maybes

Edited by gs_triumph