Why become a member? ×

Worst musical equipment monetary loss you taken

Twincam

This is to make me feel better.
I bought recently a late 70s wem dominator for 440. In mint condition although it had some mods and I also put in 100 pounds of new parts.
What I was thinking I don't know it was a moment of madness I knew I was overpaying too. I wasn't skint tho so thought why not.

Sold for 170, I need the cash so it had to be and I need the room now too.
Worst monetary loss ive ever had on anything actually.

Ah bugger. Oh I did sell the speaker separate replaced with one a had lying around (much better!) for 80 quid but still. Ah well

Bought a used Limelight jazz for £700, spent a bit on a few things for it and sold for £550. I thought I got a good deal when I bought it (well I did!). The market can be very strange sometimes can't it!

Edited by jimbobothy

I bought a G&L L2000 tribute, before Thomann started selling them, I have given up trying to sell it even though I rarely use it, I found I just prefer my jazz & p basses more, I'd rather leave it in the case gathering dust than drop it any lower than the last price I advertised it at.

Not lost much on anything , happy to lose £50-100 on a 2nd hand bass if I enjoy it for a period , don't really see it as a loss

I guess if i where to sell my amp which I brought new id make a fair loss , but then what value do you put on the use of it each year and is that loss ?

Edited by lojo

Its not so bad if you bought new as you will always lose money or enjoyed the item.
And I'm getting a lot less the 50% back which really should be the minimum for an item that is aesthetically good and is in good working order.
Me I also traveled for the amp. Pissing gf off.
Overpaid also kissing the ex off.
Put in money. Then bought a totally different amp again kissing the ex off lol.
All round it was a bad move lol.

Bought a brand new EBMM Stingray 5 string fretless in the early 90's for a lot (can't remember the actual amount). I had to sell it to help fund a move abroad a few years later at short notice. Ended up selling it to a shop in London for about a quarter of what I paid for it.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1467227587' post='3082148']
Bought a brand new EBMM Stingray 5 string fretless in the early 90's for a lot (can't remember the actual amount). I had to sell it to help fund a move abroad a few years later at short notice. Ended up selling it to a shop in London for about a quarter of what I paid for it.
[/quote]

Ouch!

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1467227274' post='3082146']
£400 over three years or £2.56 a week. Seems like 'fair use' to me. I wish my cars depreciated so little!
[/quote]

Yep, I buy and sell a lot of gear and see all my purchases as tryouts and/or rentals on which I expect to make a bit of a loss. I'm very happy to do so because I enjoy experiencing a variety of instruments, and like many here consider myself fortunate that I can scratch the retail itch regularly without incurring the losses that those who need to buy new shoes (MNN) endure. I have two basses - both vintage Precisions (one FL) - a double bass, a 70's strat, a mandolin and a Gibson acoustic that I've had for years and which are my mainstay instruments, but otherwise my gear is a moving feast on which I estimate I lose about 10% of the purchase value each time I sell, that loss which I'm happy to accept for the above reasons and also because once I've decided to sell something I'd rather let it go quickly so I can move on to something else.

Money's a tool :)

Ok, a couple of years back I had a hankering for a Gibson 335, I brought one brand new for £1700.00, everytime I played it I hated the sticky feeling from the Nitrocellulose neck, I never felt at home with it, after 3 months I traded it for a brand new Strat which was £995.00 at the time....so I make that £234.00 a month depreciation costs for it!

I also brought a really really nice 79 Precision a few years back for £1500.00 with the market as it is I doubt it would see £800.00 at present but I have no intention of selling it so I guess that does count as a loss at this point, call it a banked loss if you will.

I do tend to find that if I own it, it is currently only worth 50% of what I paid for it :unsure:

Hartke Kilo amp. Bought new for around £800. Died at its 4th gig. Spent next four months taking it back and forth to the distributor for repair where they not only failed to repair it, they also damaged the front panel. Dealt with the Hartke UK top man (via this very forum) until it died a forth time and Hartke completely stopped communicating. Ended up having to throw it out less than 6 months after buying it. Most appalling service ever. In hindsight should have sought legal advice but didn't. Every time I see a Hartke amp now my blood pressure rises.

I paid £800 in the early 90s for a Ampeg 8x10 ( appalling build quality by the way ) no one wanted to pay more than £200for it 6 months later . & swapped a Fender Precision 78 for a pair of Kudos pa speakers .still trying to track down as I have the serial number .

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1467235980' post='3082238']
Hartke Kilo amp. Bought new for around £800. Died at its 4th gig. Spent next four months taking it back and forth to the distributor for repair where they not only failed to repair it, they also damaged the front panel. Dealt with the Hartke UK top man (via this very forum) until it died a forth time and Hartke completely stopped communicating. Ended up having to throw it out less than 6 months after buying it. Most appalling service ever. In hindsight should have sought legal advice but didn't. Every time I see a Hartke amp now my blood pressure rises.
[/quote]

Not so good :(

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1467238497' post='3082254']
I paid £800 in the early 90s for a Ampeg 8x10 ( appalling build quality by the way ) no one wanted to pay more than £200for it 6 months later . & swapped a Fender Precision 78 for a pair of Kudos pa speakers .still trying to track down as I have the serial number .
[/quote]

Ouch on the cab!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1467227587' post='3082148']
[/quote]

That's a shame - I have a 93 fretless SR4 which I bought from a guy who had it from new - according to the original bill for it I paid about £30 more than he paid new for it and would most likely get more if I sold it now (which I have no intention of doing).

Selling to a shop in those circumstances is always a problem - I sold my acoustic 370/301 rig (as used by John Paul Jones, Aston Barrett, and many funk players) for around £100 in similar circumstances in the late 80s........

I occasionally buy new basses - I have to say I get a great deal of pleasure from them and never buy these with a mind to selling - if I did I'd possibly lose 50% of new price. That said who knows what will be 'desirable' in 15 yrs time.

I've seen used Marcus Miller Japanese jazz basses selling for the same price as I looked at them new a few years back.

Edited by drTStingray

Bought a new Jetglo 4001 in 79 for, IIRC, £700. Sold it five years later for £195. Not so much of a hit at the time, but now...eek :o :(

Oh, and I've just remembered, I sold my Ampeg B25-B head around the same time...I can't remember what I got for it, but I also can't remember it being enough to actually spend on something else, so it won't have been more than £100... :(

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1467274747' post='3082384']
Bought a new Jetglo 4001 in 79 for, IIRC, £700. Sold it five years later for £195. Not so much of a hit at the time, but now...eek :o :(
[/quote]

And the market is so wierd - around the same time period new Stingray £375, sold mid 80s for £475 (to pay a rates bill - yes really.....).

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1467275006' post='3082387']
And the market is so wierd - around the same time period new Stingray £375, sold mid 80s for £475 (to pay a rates bill - yes really.....).
[/quote]

Yup, Rays were at least sellable - I couldn't get any interest in the Ric...I also had a 70s Precision (can't remember the year) which went for bugger all, too. I'm talking £200 or so...

I may just have been a numpty, tho - I replaced the 4001 with an Aria ZZB Custom, and I was delighted... :( :D