Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Tm4 or Dingwall ng2 both 4 string

jonnywillmott

Hey there guys I'm looking at getting one of these basses and hopefully very soon making a trip to bass direct to try them out before buying

What are guys opinions on these basses who have played them?

My main concern is what the neck feels like on the Sandberg? I'm after a faster thinner neck as I'm an ex guitar player

Thanks for the help guys

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467274484' post='3082376']
If you want a fast, thin neck, have you thought about one of the modern Ibanez basses? They are extremely well priced, high spec, and well manufactured from what I've heard.

I wouldn't personally bother with a fanned fret 4 string...5 sting maybe....(again see Ibanez).
[/quote]

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that.

Just picked up a California VM 4 and the neck is sublime. Nut width in between P and J (40mm) and plays really fast.

I've a Dingwall as well - Z3 and the neck on that is also awesome but very different from the NG basses fro what I've heard/read.

It's worth trying out both before stumping up the £s if you have the option.

I

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1467790365' post='3086192']
They're totally different instruments - you need to know what you actually want first, but you can try both at BassDirect anyway so asking us for opinions won't help you.
[/quote]

Definitely this :)

The only thing I have against Sandberg - and it's almost silly... I just don't find the headstock pleasing in design. Everything else about the VMs model is superb!

Unless they've changed it I've always found the neck on my Sandberg on the chunky side, it's quite close to the neck on my P thinking about it (but a flatter FB radius).
So if you're dead set on a skinny neck you might not get on with it - but try it out first for sure! :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Sammers

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1467880770' post='3086878']
Unless they've changed it I've always found the neck on my Sandberg on the chunky side, it's quite close to the neck on my P thinking about it (but a flatter FB radius).
So if you're dead set on a skinny neck you might not get on with it - but try it out first for sure! :i-m_so_happy:
[/quote]

I had a play on a couple of Fender Ps and didn't like the necks at all - way to wide. The Sandberg is 40mm @ nut so sits between the standard Jazz and P widths. The neck profile is a little flatter feeling than my US Geddy Jazz.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1468062326' post='3088358']
I had a play on a couple of Fender Ps and didn't like the necks at all - way to wide. The Sandberg is 40mm @ nut so sits between the standard Jazz and P widths. The neck profile is a little flatter feeling than my US Geddy Jazz.
[/quote]

Oooh, I've never actually tried a standard P width then - My P must have a narrower nut as it measures about 40/41mm. it's a B neck.

Edited by Sammers

I guess there are a lot of different necks over the many years plus the differences between US, Mex, Japan, etc.

I had a play on a "[color=#353D4D][font=nerisregular]Custom Shop 1958 Precision Bass Relic[/font][/color]" and the neck was just not my cuppa!

The four string NG-2 models come as standard with a B-E-A-D tuning and the scale length of the low B is a snip over 36".

Furthermore, I will be reviewing the NG-2 four string tomorrow for a forthcoming article in Guitar Interactive Mag.

[quote name='horrorshowbass' timestamp='1468180412' post='3089091']
Cool look forward to it dood. I guess what I'm asking is it's tuned EADG is there an advantage for fanned frets? Looks like an awesome bass, seriously considering gettin one
[/quote]

Yeah, there really is - the E on my Z3 is epic - much more sustain than on my others. It's just more obvious on the B than elsewhere.

[quote name='horrorshowbass' timestamp='1468180412' post='3089091']
Cool look forward to it dood. I guess what I'm asking is it's tuned EADG is there an advantage for fanned frets? Looks like an awesome bass, seriously considering gettin one
[/quote]

We didn't get to review the NG2-4 in the end but yes there will be an advantage for sure, especially with the right strings on too. I also envisage drop tuning to be improved too. I love knocking my five string down to A. The B string still retains its tone and feels under more control verses a 34" scale (unless you up the string gauge of course!)

• 4 weeks later...