Why become a member? ×

NAD - Gallien Krueger content

Graham

Ordered a new amp as there's an intermittent fault with my HD350 and with a run of wedding and party bookings coming up I really needed something more reliable.

Anyway, go to bed children, I want to play with my new toy!

And here we are

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/20160630_194750_zpsaxcpr9ts.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

MB500, not gone very deeply with it yet, just on headphones, but sounds really crisp and clear, which is what I love in an amp, so I think we're on to a winner here :)

TBH, if I had the cash I'd have probably bought the Fusion as from what people have said on here, it does seem to be a bit more versatile.

However, for my tastes: clear, solid state punch, this is definitely ticking the boxes.

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1467373265' post='3083174']
Kinda wish I'd still hung on to it but there you go!
[/quote]

I've had a 500 Fusion, an MB500 and an MB200 and regret selling all of them, especially the Fusion. :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467386383' post='3083358']
I've had a 500 Fusion, an MB500 and an MB200 and regret selling all of them, especially the Fusion. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Did you not get the message after you'd sold the first two?!

So, Friday was a wedding at a small country pub for one of my regular dep gigs, five piece (guitar, bass, drums, keys, female vox) doing pop covers, mostly from the 80s onwards. The playing space was fairly confined and there were a lot of hard surfaces, but generally had a decent number of bodies on the dancefloor to soak up some of the reflections.

once I plugged in I was surprised at how much more low end there was through the cab compared to playing through headphones, I was expecting more, just not as much as this; I ended up turning up the tweeter on the cab and cutting the lows and low mids far more than I expected to. It was a good sound, just not the crisp,tight sound I was expecting. still, the rest of the band were happy and I was certainly loud enough with the master set to about 9-10 o'clock. Really, I'd have liked more time playing with the settings, but not really the done thing at a wedding.

On to Saturday night, this was back with my regular band which is a four piece with a male singer doing rock and pop covers from the 60s onwards. It was an unusual venue in that we were in the room of the swimming pool of a rich bloke's house, so we were under a low ceiling section, which opened out into a higher ceiling above the pool and then lots of windows around the edge of the room. Also, very hot and humid, so acoustically not a very normal room. Sounded okay, if loud, where we were, but I'm not sure how it sounded out front.

I kept the settings pretty similar to the previous night, but found that pushing the input gain a bit harder got me closer to where I wanted to be tonally, the best sound I had all night was was when I hit the boost channel for a solo, which makes me think cranking the gain a bit harder is probably the way to go - I still wasn't often triggering the clip light, so should be able to go further next weekend.

All in all, I think it's a great piece of kit, and plan on keeping it for some time, it's just I'm finding transitioning from the EBS EQ and gain staging over to this more of a learning curve than I was expecting.

I'm re-learning a Megadeth cover which I'm planning on recording to demo the amp over the next few days so I'll post that up once it's done.

As promised, a cover of Tornado Of Souls by Megadeth to show the tone, the amp EQ was pretty much flat and I had the bridge pickup solo'd and in series.

You will notice my children didn't understand the concept of keeping quiet whilst I was recording, so you can hear them arguing about playing Polly And The Wolf, dancing, my wife vainly trying to get them to be quiet, and in my favourite part, my eldest asking if I stink. Never work with children or animals.

http://youtu.be/dCne6Ivo7V4

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1467999333' post='3088004']
...you can hear them arguing about playing Polly And The Wolf, dancing, my wife vainly trying to get them to be quiet, and in my favourite part, my eldest asking if I stink. Never work with children or animals.
[/quote]

So... [i]do[/i] you stink? :lol:

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1468001011' post='3088017']
...fragrance is in the nose of the beholder :lol:
[/quote]

Or in other words - he who smelt it, dealt it. :)

I would also accept 'he who detected it, projected it', and 'he who exposed it, composed it'.
Also see: 'he who declared it, aired it'; 'he who blurted it, squirted it' and 'he who hyped it, piped it'.