Why become a member? ×

NPD - DSM Deluxe OmniCabSim

sk8

Arrived today

[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/spongebob_sqaurepants/media/BAC89E75-0F2C-44E5-882A-485CCF261F22_zpsyzmyaimf.jpg.html][IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/BAC89E75-0F2C-44E5-882A-485CCF261F22_zpsyzmyaimf.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467322816' post='3082912']
Hesitated about buying one of these for ages, how is it! Calling dibs if you ever decide its not for you!
[/quote]

Not had chance to play with it yet but got an open air festival gig tomorrow I'm planning on using it at

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1467351461' post='3082977']
Not had chance to play with it yet but got an open air festival gig tomorrow I'm planning on using it at
[/quote]

I fancy it for recording rather than live use, hoping it negates the need for a digital amp modeller. B7K > Omnicabsim > interface, to get a mic'ed cab sound.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467374919' post='3083196']

I fancy it for recording rather than live use, hoping it negates the need for a digital amp modeller. B7K > Omnicabsim > interface, to get a mic'ed cab sound.
[/quote]

That could be for a win.

Opted to just straight DI today as I need more time with the OmniCabSim to get comfortable with it

So I have one coming my way now, I'm looking forward to giving this a go! Recording session will be in a couple of weeks, but Ill bring this along to rehearsal next week and see how it interacts with my 112 cab. In the meantime, it looks like it will be a killer headphone practice amp too!

Killer pedal. Exactly what I was looking for, quite amazing what this thing does to your sound through headphones/DI.

Im still not sure if I will use this through an amp, but such is the quality of the sound I'm getting through headphones I will give it a go at rehearsal on Sunday, see what it does.

There is very little about this company on Basschat; small business based out of Chile, here is their website http://www.dsmnoisemaker.com. I thoroughly recommend everyone check them out. Great bloke, already had a good chat with him about this pedal, cut from the same cloth as Doug Castro.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1467873800' post='3086809']
This looks awesome, and exactly what I need. Will be ordering one myself soon. Either of you used it live yet?
[/quote]

By live use, do you mean through a amp/cab or DI out to PA?

I won't be using it live for a good few weeks, however I will be rehearsing at gig volume with it on Sunday through my Amp, so I can comment on that then. I imagine all it will do is give my otherwise modern sounding 112 a more retro larger cab sound. It wasn't what I bought it for, but im intrigued in any case :)

Ah yes, sorry I mean out to the PA. I imagine I would just come out of the through to my Amp, unless it does something great to the sound, although my rig is turning into more of an expensive monitor these days.

Edited by MarshallBTB

I mean really, that's what it's made for. But it does magic with the signal at low/headphone volume, so like I say I'm curious as to what it will do through my rig at volume.

Okay, so I used it in a loud rehearsal this evening.

It is outstanding. I can't turn it off. It just sounds massive through my GK/Vanderkley setup. Its really, really difficult to describe what its doing to the tone. The Vanderkley is very clean and true to what goes into it, so I guess the OCSD is giving the impression it is a much larger and more coloured cab. It just sounds massive and cuts through the mix unbelievably well. Heavy metal drummer and two guitarists i'm dealing with here.

At the end of the session, just for fun I DI'd into the practice room of the PA to see how it sounded. It sounded exactly as it does in headphones/recordings, like a big mic'd cab. My gearhead vocalist/guitarist was amazed by it, didn't think it was possible to get sounds like that without digital amp modelling.

This little unit is remarkable, it really is.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1467836491' post='3086677']
Killer pedal. Exactly what I was looking for, quite amazing what this thing does to your sound through headphones/DI.

Im still not sure if I will use this through an amp, but such is the quality of the sound I'm getting through headphones I will give it a go at rehearsal on Sunday, see what it does.

There is very little about this company on Basschat; small business based out of Chile, here is their website [url="http://www.dsmnoisemaker.com."]http://www.dsmnoisemaker.com.[/url] I thoroughly recommend everyone check them out. Great bloke, already had a good chat with him about this pedal, cut from the same cloth as Doug Castro.
[/quote]

I was interested in hearing your comments as I think I'd use it pretty much the same way as you... and you've done nothing to disuade me.
I must get my hands on one of these... MOT coming within the next couple of weeks. If it's good news I'm going straight to the website to order one! :)

Really curious about this pedal for headphone / studio stuff for a dry signal with no pedals, I've tried most amp sim plug-ins and I always end up turning them off because I find them a little artificial, but from the demos this sounds a lot better. Anyone know what's actually going on inside the box? Gain, some clever eq, what else?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1468576242' post='3091856']
Really curious about this pedal for headphone / studio stuff for a dry signal with no pedals, I've tried most amp sim plug-ins and I always end up turning them off because I find them a little artificial, but from the demos this sounds a lot better. Anyone know what's actually going on inside the box? Gain, some clever eq, what else?
[/quote]

I don't know, magic?!

Its all analogue certainly, which will definitely be one reason why its sounds so much more genuine that many amp sims. I assume its a clever mix of eq, low/band/highpass filters e.t.c.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1468576242' post='3091856']
[/quote]

As Kev replied, it is a combination of carefully designed analog filters. It took a lot of R&D to get the right steepness, corner frequencies, ranges and peaks to recreate the huge span of cabinet tones realistically. Also these filters add an "apparent compression" due to the notches and peaks, so the actual feeling of playing a cabinet is there..

What´s the difference with an EQ? ..EQ´s don´t have enough steepness on their filters and their frequencies are fixed..you can maybe get a cabinet "color" with an eq by boosting and cutting some specific freqs, but they cannot reproduce the really steep high and low filtering and specific Q´s that a cabinet has as a system. You'd need a 20 band, +-40dB per band EQ to get close..

compared to digital, IR cabsims, like the torpedo cab, the OCSD offers instant access to change or adjust your tone on the fly, for that "extra something" you need..IR Cabs are really good, realistic and complex, but they are "preset" based, digital driven, and well..more expensive.. OCSD aims to musicians who want instant tweakability and want to be able to "create" their own cabinet responses , like "vintage top with modern bottom"..and also it is very road worthy and designed for live use..

imagine this situation..you set your IR cabsim perfect for your room and rehearsals..That 4x10 vintage carlsbro cab simulation works perfect..but then..at the live venue..different floor, walls, room size, PA system, the preset is too boomy and all you hear is low end mud..you would have to find a new cabinet preset in a hurry that has the same top end, but different low end...then, edit mode, save, cancel, save preset, assign, etc.. With the OCSD, you just kneel and turn down the resonance down a bit, and adjust the cab size..and bob's your uncle..

• Like 1

Yeah hopefully the analogue aspect makes a difference to the sense of realness. That's always been my biggest issue with plugins, they sound nice but they don't feel quite right in the way they respond to changes in dynamics, they are static snapshots. Even if this isn't the real thing, it's a step closer to it than the plugins. I think I'll probably order one of these real soon.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1468599643' post='3092089']
Yeah hopefully the analogue aspect makes a difference to the sense of realness. That's always been my biggest issue with plugins, they sound nice but they don't feel quite right in the way they respond to changes in dynamics, they are static snapshots. Even if this isn't the real thing, it's a step closer to it than the plugins. I think I'll probably order one of these real soon.
[/quote]

I fully recommend you do :)

And thanks for the detailed info, Dan!