Why become a member? ×

Strings again: Is there a good equivalent to Warwick Yellow?

Hello All,

Newbie poster here, so usual disclaimers and apologies for clumsiness.

I have a question about strings - I have searched the listings already and can't find quite the answer I seek, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask a specific question.

I currently use Warwick Yellow strings (these are nickel plated round wounds) and I really like the woody tone I get on my Warwick Corvette with these. Problem is, they don't seem to last long - current set only three weeks of heavy practise (gig coming up), and E is dead already and the A not far behind.

There are so many strings to choose from and trying them out is so slow ... Can anyone recommend any better quality (or at least longer lasting) strings that have a similar tonal quality to the yellows?

thanks

I've never tried the Warwick strings, so it's difficult to know what to recommend but the D'addario NYXL nickels are a fine string. I've had a set on my main gigging bass for a couple of months now, so they've done a few gigs and rehearsals and are still very much alive and well.

I do always clean them down post gig. :)

I used Elites on my Warwicks for years but tried some D'Addarios just because I fancied a change. The Pro-Steels, NYXL Nickels and Balanced Tension Nickels have all been excellent, and I've found the Balanced Tension ones particularly good for me as I use drop tunings almost exclusively. I'll not be going back to Elites!

FWIW - I tried a couple of different sets of Dunlop strings (Super Brights and another one that escapes me) before I tried the D'Addarios and was very underwhelmed. YMMV, of course.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

not tried warick strings but for longevity Elixirs Nickle plated strings are brilliant. they last for ages, typically i wont change a set for about 9months/a year but then i only play every 2 weeks or so and even then they dont really need changing just my head says they should

• 2 weeks later...