Why become a member? ×

action at the 1st frett

archie84

hi everyone. just fitted a new set of ernie ball slinky flatwounds on my squire jazz bass and just noticed that i have 0.10mm (used a feeler gauge to measure it) clearance on the first frett. i have a feeling this is to low. what do you think?

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1467449778' post='3083726']
That does seem quite low. If it feels OK to you and you aren't getting any buzzing then I would leave it. If it is buzzing then it might be an idea to put a thin shim under the nut.
[/quote]
Or remove the nut, paint the bottom of the slot with glue and lt it dry. Then refit the nut.
I personally like that height at the 1st, when it's fretted at the 3rd.

I'd say that's maybe slightly on the low side but if it feels and sounds ok then it's not a problem.

With a capo at fret one and string held down at fret thirteen then at fret six expect to have about 0.2mm (0.008 inch), so 0.1mm is not awful at fret one.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1467453379' post='3083759']
What is all this fascination with feeler gauges these days? :huh:

If it feels right and it doesn't rattle, then it is right. :)
[/quote]

Me too.... it is the feeling off the strings that counts and I've never bothered with a specific height.... altho I tend to max out the bridge and the strings may choke when playing sitting back..

With a capo at fret two, I've set a jazz between 6 -7 thou. I have gone lower to around 4 -5, but found the A and G strings a bit buzzy at those heights (using Fat Beams. Other strings may have different tensions, which will alter what can be achieved before rattle)

If nut height is too low it shows up playing 3-7 frets as 'back fouling', where strings foul frets behind the held fret. Sometimes which a clanky feel and sound, but lacking elasticity and proper feel when making the note. Too high shows up as a high open string playing action, a long way to depress open stings when fretting and a slow action, not nimble. All other things on setup being equal.

HTH!

LD

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1467626474' post='3084895']
If nut height is too low it shows up playing 3-7 frets as 'back fouling', where strings foul frets behind the held fret. Sometimes which a clanky feel and sound, but lacking elasticity and proper feel when making the note. Too high shows up as a high open string playing action, a long way to depress open stings when fretting and a slow action, not nimble. All other things on setup being equal.

HTH!

LD
[/quote]

This also if you get at around the 13th on the E your string should not make a clanky sh*t sound by fouling from the nut to fretted note. That's just bad and lazy setup if it happens. No it won't really come through the amp but the feel will just be terrible.

• 8 months later...