Why become a member? ×

Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Dark Star Pad Reverb

PianoFights

Interested to hear if anyone has had any experience using the OBNE Dark Star with bass.

I was in the market for a new pedal, was thinking something in a reverb flavour, and actually purchased the EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath. The Afterneath is a really cool effect, but I'm getting horrible issues with it clipping unless I play really delicately. Another issue with the Afterneath is that the mix knob drops my clean signal pretty considerably as you turn it clockwise to "give the appearance of full wet", but it makes the difference in my overall level between pedal ON/OFF just too huge.

So I think I'm going to be sending the Afterneath back, and now I'm eyeing up the Dark Star.

From the demos I've seen it looks like it can do dark and beautiful washes, but is capable of some pretty weird sounding stuff as well. Just up my street, but since my crappy experience with the Afterneath (which was an ostensibly great pedal), I'm a little nervous that I'm going to get stung again.

I play a Spector Euro with a TonePump circuit, which is pretty hot. Am I just going to end up with clipping issues with any reverb pedal?
The Dark Star does at least have an internal trimpot to tweak the output level, so I should be able to avoid the level issue I had with the EQD.

I'd be grateful to hear about any experience anyone has had with one, or any advice on the matter at all really :)

Thanks!
Josh

I've never tried it on bass so can't really contribute anything useful but one of the guitarists in my band has one and it's a fantastic pedal. The three modes make it really usable in loads of different contexts but in the same way you know most of the sounds are that specific pedal. I have no idea how it will handle bass, it is quite dark voiced anyway so assume you'll be ok.
Sorry I can't help more but wanted to share positive experience of it

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1467756575' post='3086044']
I've never tried it on bass so can't really contribute anything useful but one of the guitarists in my band has one and it's a fantastic pedal. The three modes make it really usable in loads of different contexts but in the same way you know most of the sounds are that specific pedal. I have no idea how it will handle bass, it is quite dark voiced anyway so assume you'll be ok.
Sorry I can't help more but wanted to share positive experience of it
[/quote]

Nah mans, appreciate the input :)

I'm pretty sure I'l love it... IF... it can deal with the TonePump without freaking out.
I might message OBNE directly and just straight-up ask them what they think.

So spotted that this was 22% off at guitarbox.co.uk yesterday, which pushed me over the fence to get it. Good thing I did pull the trigger too, as it looks like it's back up to full price now.

I've not really used reverb before, so I won't have much of a frame-of-reference to judge this pedal by, but I'll report back here with my thoughts anyway :)