Why become a member? ×

Fender strap locks keep coming loose

Andytre

I have a set of Fender strap locks on my fender P, there the ones that screw on kind of like a bottle top. I have no problems with the actual strap button attaching to the body there lovely and secure, it's the screw on part that hold the strap that constantly comes loose, I have to tighten it multiple times during a gig, Iv tried loctight, super glue even no more nails and yet they keep coming loose!

Has anyone any ideas to solve it? Or should I just go back to the old standard of grolsch bottle tops over the buttons?

cheers guys, i tried loctitie and it still came off. its only a really shin ernie ball strap, the type you get for about £5, i havent had the problem with the schaller strp locks just these fender ones. i think im going down the washer route, i should have some black annodized looking ones at work so might "borrow" a few of them!

cheers for the advice, if theres anymore ideas throw them this way, i have a fair few basses i could do different things to, to try them out!

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Greetings also from Nottingham![/color][/size][/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"]One thing I’ve always found with these types of strap-locks (assuming that it’s the “Schaller” type that most Fenders come with these days) is that the hole in the strap needs to be wide enough to accommodate the enlarged threaded part of the strap lock. If it is just standard size, the strap creates too much friction and loosens the nut(s).[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"]This is why companies who make more expensive straps (like Heistercamp for example), give you the option of larger holes for use with this type of lock. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"]A good hardware store (or even better, a “proper” saddlery) will usually have a large hole-punch to do this job and charge you pennies for doing it. I’ve also done it myself using an offcut of appropriately-sized copper pipe and hammered it through the leather onto a chopping board. I’ve also done it with a cordless drill but that tends to fray it a little. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"]If your strap is only a very cheap one, the chances are that the ends of the strap won’t be proper leather and so won’t take the widening so you might need to replace your strap. [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='steviebee74' timestamp='1468237461' post='3089423']
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000000]Greetings also from Nottingham![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000000]One thing I’ve always found with these types of strap-locks (assuming that it’s the “Schaller” type that most Fenders come with these days) is that the hole in the strap needs to be wide enough to accommodate the enlarged threaded part of the strap lock. If it is just standard size, the strap creates too much friction and loosens the nut(s).[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000000]This is why companies who make more expensive straps (like Heistercamp for example), give you the option of larger holes for use with this type of lock. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000000]A good hardware store (or even better, a “proper” saddlery) will usually have a large hole-punch to do this job and charge you pennies for doing it. I’ve also done it myself using an offcut of appropriately-sized copper pipe and hammered it through the leather onto a chopping board. I’ve also done it with a cordless drill but that tends to fray it a little. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000000]If your strap is only a very cheap one, the chances are that the ends of the strap won’t be proper leather and so won’t take the widening so you might need to replace your strap. [/color][/size][/font]

[/quote] Agree - i bough a set of punches from EBay - cheap. I enlarge the holes in my straps before fitting the washer and nuts and they tighten properly - no more coming undone