Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Two10

discreet

A Genzler Magellan will sit neatly on top (ok, One 10s here) and go down to 2.7 Ohms if you need another cab. Plus it all sounds good to me. :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JcE9EJ][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/JcE9EJ]Compact Gig Rig[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/berriff/]David Jones[/url], on Flickr

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1467793613' post='3086220']
One 210 is enough, blimey, looks like I`m going overkill with my 210 & 410 that I`ve got on the way.
[/quote]

One Two10 can be enough for mere mortals like Huge Hands and myself, but I doubt it would be enough for your particular brand of punk rock, Lozz. And of course there's the look of the thing to consider... I don't think you could turn up at any halfway-serious punk rock gig with just ONE Two10! Or even two, come to that - you [i]need [/i]that Four10 (just in case you were wavering). :D

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1467795214' post='3086239']
[url="https://flic.kr/p/JcE9EJ"][/url]
[/quote]

Just out of interest, why have you got the lower cab horizontal? That would aggravate my OCD to a crazy level! In fact, just seeing the pic is aggravating it now! Ohh... *has a nice lie down with the blinds drawn*

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467796064' post='3086250']
That would aggravate my OCD to a crazy level! In fact, just seeing the pic is aggravating it now!
[/quote]

My OCD got fired up by the white 4 way. Black wiring on stage, people!!!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1467798009' post='3086275']
My OCD got fired up by the white 4 way. Black wiring on stage, people!!!!
[/quote]

....Not with our current drummer. He's in his 60s and blind as a bat, so anything that stands out when he's trying to climb over his kit is a bonus!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1467800286' post='3086308']
But the port is on the bottom of the cab?.....what happened to needing around 6" clearance for ports?! :huh:

Si
[/quote]

My understanding from my chats with Alex is that by standing it vertical with the port at the bottom, you have the effect of blocking the port, to aid with boomy rooms, resonance etc. That's why I prefer having mine horizontal, because it allows the port to work freely and is a bit more beefy. I think. At least that's what it feels like to me.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1467800799' post='3086316']
I see, so it effectively turns it into a sealed cab when vertical......almost?!

Si
[/quote]

I believe so. I seem to remember Alex (on another thread) talking about stuffing a T-shirt in the port being a similar option...but I could be wrong.

I know in my case, I have had a few occasions where I've started with it vertical but then had to turn it horizontal to get decent bottom end. However, that has usually been down to weird acoustics in rooms, I often use it vertical in other scenarios.

I've yet to gig the cab, but I won't use a stand, so the port will be firing downwards into the floor. I know from the One10 that quite a breeze can emanate therefrom at high SPL, but I think the clearance afforded by the feet is sufficient to dissipate it. It's not six inches though, I'll give you that. As far as I understand it from the Barefaced literature, the 10-series cabs mimic the effect of a sealed cab due to the 'resonator enclosure', which increases back pressure on the drivers, even though there is quite a lot of air movement through the port.

I don't pretend to understand how it works, but using the cab vertically at home it's certainly not 'boomy'. However, it can easily handle 3 o'clock's-worth of 'Low' from my Markbass SA450 running 500W RMS @ 4ohms at high volume with no issues. I'm not going to be lacking heft, if I dare say the word. :P

I'll know more after this weekend's gig, which is an outdoor affair, so should be interesting.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1467800286' post='3086308']
But the port is on the bottom of the cab?.....what happened to needing around 6" clearance for ports?! :huh:

Si
[/quote]
On the One10 also, the port is on a side with feet. In my use, in my lounge at home the sound does become muffled when standin the cab on that side, on a table top.

Alex will be along soon I'm sure. So I'll be interested in his comments. Maybe in a gig situation this muffled sound doesn't matter, but in use I would only use it laying down horizontally as the sound is much more clear and clean.

Calm down peeps. This was during setup for a bit of physical stability. I must do it more often because it really spooks people.

As for wiring colour who cares?; I could hardly be seen let alone what was going on around my feet. Think Big Band scenario.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467805132' post='3086367']
I'm not finding any muffling using the Two10 vertically. It's loud and clear. But again, I'll need to gig it to see what's what. :)
[/quote]

It doesn't muffle in my experience, it is still loud and clear, but in some rooms, you lose a bit of oomph as the port is not so involved. This can be a plus as I, similar to DBerriff, play in a 40+ concert band and sometimes it is nice to not be producing earth shattering resonance when you're playing at lower volumes so it goes on its side. In other cases, you start off with a nice rounded clear sound, but feel you're lacking in the "lets make the room shake" department, so you put it horizontal.

Either way, they sound great to me!

P.S. Discreet, when I've done outdoor gigs with the concert band, as the only amplified instrument in the band, I often get comments that the bass really carries and can be heard from a good distance. I think they're sometimes complaining, but I take it as a compliment!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1467800286' post='3086308']But the port is on the bottom of the cab?.....what happened to needing around 6" clearance for ports?! :huh:[/quote]

It isn't a port, it just looks like one. None of our 10CR cabs are conventional ported cabs, they're all hybrid resonator designs.

I still fancy a One10...or a Super Compact.

The minute my Gen1 Compact is less than stellar I will upgrade but the thing is just awesome :D

Funnily enough, and no disrespect intended, but the Two10 isn't tempting me...it's too heavy :D :D :D

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467810770' post='3086426']
...the Two10 isn't tempting me... it's too heavy :D
[/quote]

Yes, it's 13kg. It's all relative - the One10 is 7kg, but it's still too heavy - if you need to carry it for a mile.

I remember thinking only quite recently that 24kg is nothing for a bass cab and back in the day was happy to throw an 8x10 around. Where are the snows of yesteryear..?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467833742' post='3086647']
Yes, it's 13kg. It's all relative - the One10 is 7kg, but it's still too heavy - if you need to carry it for a mile.

I remember thinking only quite recently that 24kg is nothing for a bass cab and back in the day was happy to throw an 8x10 around. Where are the snows of yesteryear..?
[/quote]

My Compact is 12kg....that has now become my upper limit. My back is literally made of tissue paper. Yes. Literally.

I remember having to carry my Trace 1x15 combo up several really narrow, awkward flights of stairs at one gig. I decided the easiest way was just to lift it right above my head. It was easy.

It does go someway to explaining my current physical condition though :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467833742' post='3086647']
Yes, it's 13kg. It's all relative...
[/quote]

Sure is. I bought my two to replace my Ashdown 2x10 combo (35kg) and 15" cab (27kg) after a couple of back injuries (caused by carrying them). The 210s are light as a feather compared to those!

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1467880335' post='3086874']
Sure is. I bought my two to replace my Ashdown 2x10 combo (35kg) and 15" cab (27kg) after a couple of back injuries (caused by carrying them). The 210s are light as a feather compared to those!
[/quote][quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1467883320' post='3086909']
I have a trolley for anything further than 20 yds away.
[/quote]

I'm so spoiled now, anything over 10kg gets the sack truck treatment unless it's a park-outside job. I got fed up with hauling my Fender Rumble V3 500 combo (16kg), so bought the One10 (7kg) but quickly realised I just didn't much like carrying anything at all really, so bought a Two10 (13kg) for the headroom and extra beans in case I don't get to go through the crappier of the PAs we use - but the Two10, along with my Markbass SA450, weighs almost exactly the same as the Rumble! And cost me an extra £550 in total, to boot. :facepalm:

The Markbass/Barefaced rig is more versatile than the Rumble, however. But is it worth an extra £550..?
I've got to say yes really, haven't I?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467883412' post='3086911']
The Markbass/Barefaced rig is more versatile than the Rumble, however. But is it worth an extra £550..?
I've got to say yes really, haven't I?
[/quote]

I like my gear to inspire me...so if it works for you it's totally worth it. Of course I've never spent £550 on anything so what do I know :D

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1467883320' post='3086909']
I have a trolley for anything further than 20 yds away.
[/quote]

Yes, me too. But unless you have a van with a ramp, they still have to be lifted into the car boot etc. My last back injury was from an old deaf guy blocking my way when I was trying to lift my Ashdown cab from the trolley on the dance floor up on to the stage. I was asking him to move, but he couldn't hear me!