Why become a member? ×

Hipshot KickAss Bridge

nash

• 1 month later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1471858008' post='3116336']
Damn, Monday morning GAS!!!

Dan, if you find a place closer to us cna you please let me know. I dont mind ordering from the USA but id rather not.
[/quote]

I caved in and went for a eBay jobby - £65ish all in all (including import tax etc)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1471865354' post='3116439']
Cheers. I think ill be doing the same. Im going for a nice black one for my Sandblasted P bass :-)
[/quote]

No worries, let me know if you want the link to the one I got.

I can't wait to replace my standard fender bridge...

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1471866733' post='3116461']
No worries, let me know if you want the link to the one I got.

I can't wait to replace my standard fender bridge...
[/quote]

Thanks. Actually ive changed my mind. The one thing i dont like about the BAII is the length, and this looks to be similar and just a bit too long to sit neatly on my bass.

I didnt need a new bridge anyway, although i do think they look really good.

Got mine in the mail today. Took me all of 15 minutes to pop it on and set it up. There's something quite groovy about it, but it sounds a lot (a lot!) darker than the vintage style bridge that used to be on there. Plays lovely though, maybe I'll get some of those brighter sounding inserts some day...

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1472684726' post='3123367']
Got mine in the mail today. Took me all of 15 minutes to pop it on and set it up. There's something quite groovy about it, but it sounds a lot (a lot!) darker than the vintage style bridge that used to be on there. Plays lovely though, maybe I'll get some of those brighter sounding inserts some day...
[/quote]

Interesting to hear about it sounding darker? Slightly worried by this... Any improvements on tone minus the darker sound?

Mine should be arriving tomorrow (fingers crossed)

Yes!

I was wondering wether I was going to give some sort of update.

With the bridge installed I noticed some improved sustain, but there was nothing wrong sustain-wise with the old bridge, so it didn't really stand out to me. The sound was drastically different, though, from - I don't know - something familiar and stodgy like steak and potatoes to something more syrupy like coffee liqueur, if that makes any sense.

However, with the new bridge, I was able to lower the action quite dramatically, which brought back the highs - so much so that I'm now considering lowering the pickups.
Strings feel a bit tauter too. Maybe that's my imagination or maybe those things are related.

All in all it's a brilliant bridge, as far as I'm concerned. It's simple, adjustable and it sounds great. I dig it!

Just remembered: I lent my bass to the bassist of one of my bands (in which I play guitar). The drummer noted the clarity and transparency of my bass. Unsolicited, mind. :P

Edited by Danuman

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1473019251' post='3126168']
Yes!

I was wondering wether I was going to give some sort of update.

With the bridge installed I noticed some improved sustain, but there was nothing wrong sustain-wise with the old bridge, so it didn't really stand out to me. The sound was drastically different, though, from - I don't know - something familiar and stodgy like steak and potatoes to something more syrupy like coffee liqueur, if that makes any sense.

However, with the new bridge, I was able to lower the action quite dramatically, which brought back the highs - so much so that I'm now considering lowering the pickups.
Strings feel a bit tauter too. Maybe that's my imagination or maybe those things are related.

All in all it's a brilliant bridge, as far as I'm concerned. It's simple, adjustable and it sounds great. I dig it!

Just remembered: I lent my bass to the bassist of one of my bands (in which I play guitar). The drummer noted the clarity and transparency of my bass. Unsolicited, mind. :P
[/quote]

I'm with you, sounds like a good upgrade.

Certainly a upgrade based on the improved adjustability and reliability more than a sonic part for my self. I'll post my thoughts once mine lands in the post box.

Fitted a Hipshot to my Fender J5 as a straight swap.
A massive massive improvement and I've only had to set the saddle heights.

Just a more substantial offering... I got it from Sims Music who ordered it especially and also put them in stock.
Brass and chrome and machined, not pressed. Rock solid

I fitted one about a month ago, huge improvement over the original bridge, much darker and solid sound, more input from the body of the guitar itself. I also added some quarter pounders a couple of weeks later for an even bigger sound
[attachment=227198:Jazz.jpg]

Edited by Pastor

From what you guys are saying I might be investing the in stainless saddles... If I can find them in the UK?

I got the bridge yesterday so I'm hoping to get it fitted tonight. Initial thoughts are that it does feel a tiny bit cheap (when comparing the price you pay for them) The packaging surprised me. Just a flimsy card box - unlike their Xtenders smart presentation. I might do a in depth review once it's up and running, I was struggling to find much online when searching