Why become a member? ×

PJ basses pickup selecting & balance

sirmuppet

Hi guys.

I know some of this has been covered as I've read through the forums and done some searches online. I have a few PJ Basses and as I'm gigging more and more I'm realising that there's issues. For instance on the P pickup I really need to have the pickup height set correctly otherwise I get one string louder than the other, kinda goes without saying but I had to do a few little tweaks here and there. The Jazz sounds lower in output and when I put them on together the bass disappears into the mix, so much so that my guitarist thought I had stopped playing.

My issue is I really would like a hum cancelling J pickup matched with a P pickup. I'll list my PJ basses and the pickups I have and perhaps you could suggest what I should change.

Fender Precision plus with a set of EMGs (Not sure of the mode). I like this bass but it doesn't have the grunt of my passive basses thought the balance is a lot better.

Fender Mex deluxe (passive) Seymour Duncan SPB2 and STK-JB2

Fender Aerodyne Seymour Duncan SPB3 and STK-JB2

Fender Aerodyne Stock pickups

Am looking for a rock tone with hopefully a humcancelling J pickup, not a deal breaker but I did notice the Aerodyne J's buzzed so it put me off having a single coil J but if there's one that won't buzz as much with the P then I'll give it a try.

FYI I know the SPB3 is really high output, I just had it lying around and thought I'd try it, Still have the original.

My other basses are a Gibson thunderbird with stock pickups, a custom Thunderbird with a Kent Armstrong Musicman pickup and a Fender Jazz bass with SJB2 set. I'd ideally like my PJs to match the output of these.

Any help guys?

• 4 weeks later...

I've got two passive PJs, both of which are pretty silent.

One has a split-coil J at the bridge - if I back off onto that, I need to nudge the amp to compensate.

The other has a fat humbucker at the bridge. When I back off to that, I don't need to do anything to the volume. It's a beast. Maybe you need to go down that route?

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1467881572' post='3086884']
Hi guys.

I know some of this has been covered as I've read through the forums and done some searches online. I have a few PJ Basses and as I'm gigging more and more I'm realising that there's issues. For instance on the P pickup I really need to have the pickup height set correctly otherwise I get one string louder than the other, kinda goes without saying but I had to do a few little tweaks here and there. The Jazz sounds lower in output and when I put them on together the bass disappears into the mix, so much so that my guitarist thought I had stopped playing.

My issue is I really would like a hum cancelling J pickup matched with a P pickup. I'll list my PJ basses and the pickups I have and perhaps you could suggest what I should change.

Fender Precision plus with a set of EMGs (Not sure of the mode). I like this bass but it doesn't have the grunt of my passive basses thought the balance is a lot better.

Fender Mex deluxe (passive) Seymour Duncan SPB2 and STK-JB2

Fender Aerodyne Seymour Duncan SPB3 and STK-JB2

Fender Aerodyne Stock pickups

Am looking for a rock tone with hopefully a humcancelling J pickup, not a deal breaker but I did notice the Aerodyne J's buzzed so it put me off having a single coil J but if there's one that won't buzz as much with the P then I'll give it a try.

FYI I know the SPB3 is really high output, I just had it lying around and thought I'd try it, Still have the original.

My other basses are a Gibson thunderbird with stock pickups, a custom Thunderbird with a Kent Armstrong Musicman pickup and a Fender Jazz bass with SJB2 set. I'd ideally like my PJs to match the output of these.

Any help guys?
[/quote]

I don't own a Fender, but I do have a very P-like Schecter with the same pickup config as your Mex deluxe. Simple answer - I'm afraid - is to just turn off the bridge pickup. I've often found the same as you: the Precision pickup on its own sits very comfortably in any rock band setting, but whilst blending in the Jazz pickup gives a bit more trebly 'honk', if I go too far then all the low mids start disappearing and so does my presence in the mix!

The likely reason your T-bird and Jazz don't suffer in the same way is because the pickups are more evenly matched - I reckon Wateroftyne is onto something with the suggestion of adding a hotter bridge pickup. Or you could part-ex the worst offender for a Fender Blacktop Jazz - I believe that was two Precision pickups in the positions a Jazz would normally have them, wasn't it?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1470214666' post='3104073']
I've got two passive PJs, both of which are pretty silent.

One has a split-coil J at the bridge - if I back off onto that, I need to nudge the amp to compensate.

The other has a fat humbucker at the bridge. When I back off to that, I don't need to do anything to the volume. It's a beast. Maybe you need to go down that route?

[/quote]

This ^

The best (and cheapest) way to balance a P pickup is with a humbucker. For me, personally, i find that it sounds better than the single coil J. There are split coil J's in the market, they're a bit expensive, and it will be hard to find one that has an output to match the P, but they're out there somewere, you just need to search hard or send your P to a builder and order them a custom split J to match.

On my Yamaha BB1025X, the bridge J pup is louder than the P, and combined together they sound glorious and full!

Perhaps an Entwhistle neo pickup.. only £10 and from what I've heard, just about the loudest you can get?

[url="http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=JBX"]http://www.entwistle...up.php?puid=JBX[/url]

(EDIT: It appears the JBXN is the neo one and seems to no longer be made, not sure how the JBX compares)

If not that, then the Seymour Duncan quarter pounder.

Edited by dannybuoy

i have a squier jaguar which i have a usa p pickup in and a entwistle jbxn [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231141252091?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=530342071336&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231141252091?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=530342071336&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

the bass has a active circuit but its very quiet and the pickups seem well matched,im unsure if the jbxn gives a traditional jazz bass tone though its pretty powerful.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Are the Entwistle pickups any good? They seem very cheap. I could only find one demo online.

I've done a little bit of reading up on it. I may not actually use the bridge pickup. A few artists who look like they use them don't live. I just figured if it were there then it should work.

I have a QP in my Aerodyne in the P position so I think I might try one in that. If the P is still too powerful then I'll move the J QP to my P bass special which has a SPB2. Intrigued by Entwistle though, the price makes me weary though.

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1470263515' post='3104682']
Thanks for the replies guys...Are the Entwistle pickups any good? They seem very cheap. I could only find one demo online.
Intrigued by Entwistle though, the price makes me weary though.
[/quote]

I understand your caution, but there are some very good pickups coming out of these smaller companies - Entwistle, Tonerider and Wilkinson all spring to mind as being "surprisingly good for the money" - the only thing they don't have is the well-established name and reputation of SD, EMG, Kent Armstrong, etc. I've heard good things about Entwistles (haven't tried them myself) and I've had good experience with Tonerider and Wilkinson pickups previously, so I'd say the Entwistles are probably worth a punt!

Although they are regarded by some as poor relations, after a lot of reading up, I fitted DiMarzio PJ s to Kert (FuNkShUi)'s camphor single cut custom job http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/camphor%20single%20cut%20bass.htm

Time and time again in various forums and reviews they were said to punch well above their weight, be very well balanced and also that the noiseless J was a great boon. Now admittedly I also fitted the Seymour Duncan 2band EQ for maximum flexibility, but both Kert and I have both been VERY impressed how good they sound even at fully neutral EQ. Kert has done a video demo ( I think the link is on the thread).

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1470559964' post='3106657']
Although they are regarded by some as poor relations, after a lot of reading up, I fitted DiMarzio PJ s to Kert (FuNkShUi)'s camphor single cut custom job http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/camphor%20single%20cut%20bass.htm

Time and time again in various forums and reviews they were said to punch well above their weight, be very well balanced and also that the noiseless J was a great boon. Now admittedly I also fitted the Seymour Duncan 2band EQ for maximum flexibility, but both Kert and I have both been VERY impressed how good they sound even at fully neutral EQ. Kert has done a video demo ( I think the link is on the thread).
[/quote]

Yes to the Dimarzio PJ set! Definitely not poor relations and they have lots of mid grunt to them. I paired mine with a Glockenklang 3 band pre. There's a few videos on YouTube and I think the config sounds ace. I have however switched to the EMG PJ set as I wanted a clean 'Miller' kinda sound which it now does very well.

I had an Aerodyne Jazz and went the same route as Duff McKagan, putting an STK-JB2 in, but keeping the stock Precision pickup. This worked really well, so to me the Jazz pickup needs to be more powerful than the Precision one, that way it can then hold its own.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470815056' post='3108576']
I had an Aerodyne Jazz and went the same route as Duff McKagan, putting an STK-JB2 in, but keeping the stock Precision pickup. This worked really well, so to me the Jazz pickup needs to be more powerful than the Precision one, that way it can then hold its own.
[/quote]

Agreed! I've reviewed plenty of basses where I felt that the bridge pickup was there to support the neck pickup, but too weak to be used on it's own.