Why become a member? ×

NBD Charvel 2B

MacDaddy

Well it was actually a couple of weeks ago, but here is my 80’s MIJ Charvel 2B. 80’s as in 30 years old, rather than just being in an 80’s style.
Having found myself in the inexplicable position of only owning one bass, I wanted an inexpensive bass for mainly home use, but something quality enough to gig with. As I’m learning songs in different tunings, I wanted a bass with headstock tuners (as opposed to the bridge tuners on my headless bass) for ease of use, passive, and with a comfortable neck.
The Charvel ticked all the boxes, plus it is a bit of a throwback to my misspent youth, pointy headstock and all. Condition is good with a tad of mojo on the bottom of the body, I’m guessing from being plonked down on the floor and not on a stand over the years. Unusually (but happily) for old pointy headstocks, there are no dents or chips on the point.
It has been upgraded with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, so sounds immense. Weight comes in at a tad over 9 lbs.
I’ve had a Charvel guitar before, but I was still surprised to see that the basses are also made with the 2 piece neck. I’ve tried to show the join in the pic.
So, happy happy joy joy :-)

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1468588632' post='3091986']
it's really comfortable to play too, even though I prefer medium scale. The only problem is the j pup is now suffering in comparison to the SD. At some point in the future I may upgrade.
[/quote]

I used to have one just like yours and the stock pickups were very weak... They were marked 'Jackson', not clear form the pics if yours is too. I'm not surprised the QP is overpowering it!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1467889801' post='3087028']
pointy headstock - check
chunky body - check
80's style - check

good for metal? - check
[/quote]
I used it at rehearsal yesterday and can confirm it is indeed good for metal B)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1468588836' post='3091992']
I used to have one just like yours and the stock pickups were very weak... They were marked 'Jackson', not clear form the pics if yours is too. I'm not surprised the QP is overpowering it!
[/quote]

Interestingly, I've recently snagged a 575 (may well be my actual bass that I bought new in the 80's) and I was shocked when I compared the output to my Warwicks. I suppose it shouldn't be such a shock and it's like comparing apples and oranges! :)

I'm not going to change the electronics, I'll just need to get used to boosting the amp input.

I had a black one since new when they first came out. Recently sold it though. Great bass and amazing build quality for the price. Stock pups were replaced years ago and fairly recently again EMG's. Had some great times with it. TBH since I got my Stingray I much preferred the neck and I used it less and less which is why I eventually sold it when I had a recent clear out. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Edited by mep