Why become a member? ×

Basschat Noodle Bar - JULY

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]Welcome to the Basschat Noodle Bar™! [/b][/size][/color]

The rules are simple:
[list=1]
[*][b]Record yourself playing bass for up to 60 seconds.[/b] You can record whatever the heck you like: an original riff or lick; something from your band’s own repertoire; or a well-known piece you’re currently practicing. Doesn’t matter what. Just record something.
[*][b]Make sure it’s bass only: no other instruments.[/b] FX and pedals are allowed, as are simple click tracks and metronomes - but no loopers, please.
[*][b]Upload your recording[/b] to SoundCloud, YouTube or another music-sharing platform of your choice. Once you’re finished, post the link to your recording in this thread. Job done!
[/list]

Or in short: PRESS RECORD > PLAY BASS > PRESS STOP > DRINK TEA

[color=#800000][size=5][b]The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 31st July.[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467986830' post='3087855']
What, straight into another one, just like that?? :blilnk:

Question: When you say 'simple click tracks and metronomes', does this include actual drums and drumming, or what? :)
[/quote]

These rules tend to get made up as we go along!

So I'll stick my neck out and say yeah, drum tracks are fine - providing they're kept simple. If it sounds like Ginger Baker, you're doing it wrong.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1467987503' post='3087869']
I'll stick my neck out and say yeah, drum tracks are fine - providing they're kept simple. If it sounds like Ginger Baker, you're doing it wrong.
[/quote]

Hmm. What if it sounds like Jimmy Chamberlin?? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467996333' post='3087967']
Hmm. What if it sounds like Jimmy Chamberlin?? :D
[/quote]

Then there, too, you're doing it wrong. Think Charlie Watts, playing lightly, or even that most ubiquitous of drummers: Roland. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1467998831' post='3088000']
Then there, too, you're doing it wrong. Think Charlie Watts, playing lightly, or even that most ubiquitous of drummers: Roland. :mellow:
[/quote]

Not impressed by Roland - he's never got any drugs. :mellow:

sh*t forgot to even vote last time. And I'm struggling to even find the drive to play. Although I have not even worked on a bass in a few weeks. Have worked on a guitar or two though.

As for the drum track thing its cool I think but must be kept relatively simple although. To make access as easy as possible to every one maybe there should be a defined rule on click and drum tracks. Not that there is a huge attraction to the recording section.

If I do record I might do a vid though it may be 60 seconds of me crying sobing why why! Into the pickup ive heard the salt and snot really mellows out a pu.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1468115479' post='3088696']
I might do a vid though it may be 60 seconds of me crying sobing why why! Into the pickup ive heard the salt and snot really mellows out a pu.
[/quote]

Not only does it mellow out the PUs it also drastically increases the value in a similar way to sand-papering the forearm area...

Keep your head up :) although it doesn't seem like it at the time, you will come out the other side :)

The rules are 'simple click tracks and metronomes'. There may be some controversy over where the 'click tracks and metronomes' become more than simple... should we say no actual drum sounds or samples? Though you could still have a fairly complex rhythm going with just a click and a metronome...

My suggestion is that we go purist - have have no FX, no click tracks or metronomes and no drums. Bass only. Also, the noodles have to be recorded naked while standing in a field of hemp. With a donkey. What do you think?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1468601985' post='3092107']
The rules are 'simple click tracks and metronomes'. There may be some controversy over where the 'click tracks and metronomes' become more than simple... should we say no actual drum sounds or samples? Though you could still have a fairly complex rhythm going with just a click and a metronome...

My suggestion is that we go purist - have have no FX, no click tracks or metronomes and no drums. Bass only. Also, the noodles have to be recorded naked while standing in a field of hemp. With a donkey. What do you think?
[/quote]I totally agree!

I would say just do what you like :) although I personally think drum tracks are not really in the spirit of the noodle bar... Naked bass as mentioned above is the ethos...

...also the last time we took the donkey to the hemp field he ate too much of it, got sick and started to believe he was shergar, so I'm not doing that again.

Edited by CamdenRob

I then must go with what others are saying and say on reflection drum tracks of any type should be a no.

Lets just keep the rules simple as possible. Tbh I'm all up for have it just bass no fx at all. Although would then be adding gain and overdriving an amp be an effect or slashing the speaker? lol.
I think the current rules are ok bass, simple effects. Simple metronome/click. One track.
No loopers. No drum tracks of any kind.

4 strings, standard tuning only!...................... Just kidding.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1468934666' post='3094442']
Dammit, I just sold my donkey and moved over to lightweight Shetland ponies with neodymium horseshoes. Can I still use those?
[/quote]

Yes, but remember that two ponies = one donkey.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1468934666' post='3094442']...Can I still use those?
[/quote]

Only if they go 'Clip clop' repeatedly. :mellow:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1468934326' post='3094436']...
(Apart from simple click tracks and metronomes)...
[/quote]

Does it matter if one [i]follows [/i]the metronome or not..? :unsure:

Well, here we have another first for me, although kind of in a reverse order.
This was the noodle that became my July composition challenge entry. That's already in, so I thought i'd drop this in here too.
I was just seeing what the Stagg electric double bass I was borrowing sounded like recorded.
It's going in to my little Ashdown CTM15 with the D.I. driven from the speaker out, driven quite hard.
There is a bit of compression and some reverb added. It's nothing fancy playing-wise, but the tone is quite usable, I think:
[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/29marsap7hutnwk/July%20Noodle.mp3?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox....Noodle.mp3?dl=0[/url]