Why become a member? ×

DPA 4099 D; Vote Question

OK so I am a bit thick but humour me......the above mic....wish they would get a sharper name .....it can be aquired for lots of different instruments. Is it the same mic with different mounting mechanisms or are the mics calibrated to amplify different soundwave lengths....the reason that I am asking is that I play DB and tenor sax and in the unlikely event that I could afford one I like the idea of using the same mic for both instruments ........if anyone answers this could you answer in one syllable words.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1468002966' post='3088038']...answer in one syllable words.
[/quote]

There is only one mic for all uses, but with differing mounting systems and cable adapters. One of these will cover all of your stated instrument needs. Sorry for the verbosity; hope this helps.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1468004865' post='3088053']
There is only one mic for all uses, but with differing mounting systems and cable adapters. One of these will cover all of your stated instrument needs. Sorry for the verbosity; hope this helps.
[/quote]Just the answer one was wanting thank you.......

Just one more thing to add although I didn't remember that this was obvious at the time but.

I bought my DPA mic second hand. It had a guitar mount system but had been used for bass before me and had a bass mount option bought separately by the previous owner. So no problem until I found out there were different XLR adaptors not just for connection type but also sound.

I found that the XLR on the end of mine was a DAD 4099 which featured a low cut roll off filter. Which would obviously benefit some instruments but maybe not so much bass. So I bought the DAD 6001-BC which didn't have this feature. Pretty expensive for what they are but still worth it.

Here is a link to a page showing these adaptors.
http://www.soundnetwork.co.uk/dpa-microphones/adapters/

Might be worth considering this if you do buy one and have to decide which one to buy.

Hi lowlandtrees Yes definitely, Better to buy it that way round.

Great mics. In my experience sound engineers really like the sound because they say they don't have to do much their end as it sound so good anyway.

Today the sound engineer came up to me and said the mic is producing a lot of bass, is there any way of turning the bass frequency down. I was quite surprised at this as Ive never had it before. Anyway obviously it couldn't be done as it was going direct to them. 5 minutes later the engineer came up to me and apologised that the much enhanced bass response was an error on his part on the desk and that the sound of the mic was Great!

Occasionally they do come up on here second hand which would be good. But if you do buy one full price they are an excellent piece of kit even at those prices.

Good luck with it all.

• 2 weeks later...

Another possible option if you want to dip your toe in the water - without the considerable outlay - is the dpa clone that Thomann offer; t-bone ovid.
I bought one for myself and one for Mrs Jay to use on sax. It's about £40 and acquits itself really well. I've used mine to FOH in various club spaces and recently the main auditorium in GRCH. Feedback (tee-hee) from some really good sound engineers has been really positive. Sounds better than a high quality condenser placed in front of the bass on stage, for example. I'm told Thomann has some kind of tie-in/partnership agreement with DPA: so it's possible the Ovid system has some DPA design involvement. Sure, it's not as good as the 4099b; but it's nowhere near as far off as the price difference might suggest.

Edited by The Jaywalker

Funny that you should post this. I was looking at exactly the same thing yesterday. I really fancy the Ovid. How did you attach it to the bass? I see that they do a bundle for £62 including fitting. The DPA would be OK I was getting regular quality gigs but at the moment it is looking like the Thomann Ovid

The Thomann bass mounting clip is utterly unfit for purpose. I think they designed it on a 1/2 size bass or something. I bought a DPA bass mount - which cost almost as much as the Ovid....
In sax terms, my wife uses hers on sax with a noisy rock band and it works really well (engineer dependent, of course)

[quote name='The Jaywalker' timestamp='1469799510' post='3101153']
The Thomann bass mounting clip is utterly unfit for purpose. I think they designed it on a 1/2 size bass or something. I bought a DPA bass mount - which cost almost as much as the Ovid....
In sax terms, my wife uses hers on sax with a noisy rock band and it works really well (engineer dependent, of course)
[/quote]
I am an ardent fan of Gaffa Tape