Why become a member? ×

Fender '62 / '63 Precision Pickup Pole Pieces

chrisaxe

Hello,

So I have a Fender Precision bass with the [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/pickups-and-preamps/custom-shop-62-precision-bass-pickup-black/"]'62 pickup that came as standard[/url]. I'm not a huge fan of the raised pole pieces (sometimes the low E string catches the pole and 'pops' through the amp). I've lowered the pickups slightly and softened my attack, but it still happens every now and then.

My question is - does the [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/pickups-and-preamps/pure-vintage-63-precision-bass-pickup-black/"]Fender Pure Vintage '63 pickup[/url] have these same raised pole pieces? And is it possible to alter the pole piece height of a pickup?

The Fender site says that both the '62 and '63 have 'Flush-mount polepieces', but as this is not the case for my '62 I thought I would get a second opinion.

The '63 sounds like a great pickup, slightly hotter and more bass heavy than the '62, so I'm already considering getting one. But the pole piece height is the deal breaker here.

Thanks,

That`s a difficult one as am in agreement, the 62 is not flush fitting. I`ve got two 2015 US Standards with these, and one in a Mex Precision as a replacement/upgrade and on all of them the pole pieces are raised.I`d say order one and see, if they`re not flush return it as product not as described.

Edited by Lozz196

An easy fix is to place a couple of strips of business card between the top of the bobbin and the pickup cover. I had the same problem with a set of custom shop 60 J pickups.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1468138497' post='3088741']
An easy fix is to place a couple of strips of business card between the top of the bobbin and the pickup cover. I had the same problem with a set of custom shop 60 J pickups.
[/quote]

Thank you for this - now sorted!