Why become a member? ×

String gauges

Tony p

Hi
I've searched but can't find info....
I'm looking to put flat wounds to try on my yamaha bb414, it's strung with rounds 45, 65, 80,105 and I can't find any packs of flats with those gauges?
I don't want to mess about with intonation adjusting etc just to try them. What effect would putting 45, 65,85,105 on as this seems to be the standard set that I keep seeing on t net.
Thanks in advance

I`ve found in the past that putting flats on of the same brand and gauge as the rounds I`m replacing that the tension is higher, so truss-rod adjustment required. With that in mind, maybe drop down a gauge. If choosing a different brand it will be much more hit & miss, but I`d say invariably some minor form of tweaking will be needed.

Tru dat, there are many ways that flats and rounds differ apart from the gauge. There can even be enough of a difference between old and new strings of the same brand, type and gauge to require adjustment. It doesn't take long to do and is well worth it if you're going to give different strings a fair trial.

Edited by discreet

Strings Direct do single D'addario Chromes. I'm using 45, 60, 80, 110 on my Sterling

But if you're new to flats then, yes, as with rounds it's all trial and error to get the right sound, tension and feel. I've been using Chromes for about the past 5 or 6 years in different gauges

Hi Tony,

As Loz suggests, flats are normally higher tension than the equivalent gauge in nickel plated rounds.

You can compare and contrast D'Addario string gauges and construction at [url="http://stringtensionpro.com/"]www.stringtensionpro.com[/url].

ECB81 (45-100) would probably be a good jumping on point although I suspect that you will need to have the bass set up. There are plenty of great guides online and being able to set up your own instrument is a fantastic skill to have!

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1468231406' post='3089356']
..... There are plenty of great guides online and being able to set up your own instrument is a fantastic skill to have!
[/quote]

Probably the most important thing any of us will ever learn! I always go through all the formalities of setup on any Bass I buy, like a 'getting to know you' exercise....

As has already been suggested, gauge alone does not tell you tension or the need for a setup.

Different strings have different tensions when at pitch due to their having different masses per unit length and that depends upon the general construction of the string and not merely upon its gauge.

Hence, there's no substitute for learning how to setup the instrument yourself and it's not difficult.

There are many guides on the internet, not least on YouTube. I like these ones but just find one that makes sense to you.

http://youtu.be/cIzV9462xeE

http://youtu.be/D4MdWzN_100