Why become a member? ×

"Zero" fret setup!

steviebee74

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Bit of an odd question I guess but hoping someone on here might be able to help.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][color=#000000][size=3]When setting up basses, the usual protocol (as we all know) is to place a capo at the first fret, use your right hand to fret the low string at the point where the neck/body join, measure half way down (usually the 7[/size][sup][size=2]th[/size][/sup][size=3] fret) and use a feeler gauge etc…[/size][/color][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]The question is: If a bass has a “Zero” fret, do we count this as the first fret and measure from there or do we still fret at the (regular) “first” fret and proceed as normal?[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Thanks in advance,[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Stevie[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by steviebee74

Now there's a good question! Just thinking out loud I would assume you can do without the capo. I believe the capo is just to remove the variable of nut height/slot depth, which is already taken care of with the zero fret. Interested to hear a more experienced take on this though...

Cheers Bigwan - [font="Comic Sans MS"][size="3"][color="#000000"]They were my thoughts exactly but I wanted to ask around on here before I attempted it. Just recently changed strings on a Sandberg and the neck relief has obviously changed with it nut wondered if this was a way of getting a more “accurate” measurement. [/color][/size][/font]

Great question, and I'd say you should still capo it. The only reason for me is that's how I've always done it.

Zero9 is most likely correct though, it probably makes no difference whe you have the zero fret. Just try it? Measure the relief with / without the capo and see if there's a difference?

[quote name='steviebee74' timestamp='1468234071' post='3089391']
Cheers Bigwan - [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000000]They were my thoughts exactly but I wanted to ask around on here before I attempted it. Just recently changed strings on a Sandberg and the neck relief has obviously changed with it nut wondered if this was a way of getting a more “accurate” measurement. [/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Accuracy is overrated! The standard method will only get you into the ballpark, and from there you'll probably want to tweak the relief one way or another according to taste.

Fret or capo the first fret as normal.

It does make a difference how much will be variable but its actually pretty obvious when you think of it because it would be like setting your relief without fretting at the first!. The zero fret will be at the same height at a bass without a zero frets nut height!.

Accuracy or proper setup is certainly not over rated. All those tiny measurements and details add up. Which is why is someone comes to me and said hey can you make my bass play as good as any other well set up bass I would say yes.

[quote name='steviebee74' timestamp='1468229615' post='3089335']
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Bit of an odd question I guess but hoping someone on here might be able to help.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][color=#000000][size=3]When setting up basses, the usual protocol (as we all know) is to place a capo at the first fret, use your right hand to fret the low string at the point where the neck/body join, measure half way down (usually the 7[/size][sup][size=2]th[/size][/sup][size=3] fret) and use a feeler gauge etc…[/size][/color][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]The question is: If a bass has a “Zero” fret, do we count this as the first fret and measure from there or do we still fret at the (regular) “first” fret and proceed as normal?[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Thanks in advance,[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Stevie[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

The point of the capo at fret 1 and finger or thumb at fret 13 is to make a straight edge of the string in order to measure the relief at fret 6 ... Or alternatively you could use an 18" ruler.

The zero fret is not relevant to that measurement but if you do use the zero fret without the capo then it ought to be thumb at fret 12 and measure relief at fret 5.

That's what I would do anyway.

I wouldn't assume that the 'Zero Fret' has its height set the same as the other frets.
It might still be set a little higher - possibly to avoid 'Back Rattle' on fretted notes.
It would still offer the possible advantage of being of the same fretwire material (as opposed to nylon / bone or whatever) and witness point characteristic.