Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez BTB1606 Premium

Machines

Ok firstly I lied - it's coming tomorrow.

However I must express my excitement. It all started with a trip to GuitarGuitar in Birmingham a week ago. There were several nice Ibanez's I was interested in trying to see if there was anything that could tempt me. My first focus was an SR1605 with a stunning figured top and Nordstrand pickups. It looked great but I didn't really gel with the feel of it and the sound I was unsure of (as most of my basses are 'classically' toned). I then tried the SRSC805 'Cerro' - this felt lovely but a major issue appeared - the bridge pickup didn't work ! I pointed it out to the front desk and they took it off display straight away for return to the distributor, offering to get me another one from stock as they had more elsewhere. I advised I wasn't buying that day, but would bear it in mind.

I left slightly disappointed at the fault, but wouldn't have bought that day regardless. In the last week I have done a lot of research and thought, and decided a 5 string would not add much to what I have already, so am going to go for a six (I've had 2 before, but they weren't great). GG had some great looking Ibanez Premiums on their website both in stock and on order, so I emailed them to put a deposit on an SR1406 they had on the site. "Sorry, we can't get hold of that" (despite the website saying they had it on preorder). They then sent me a link of what I COULD have. I asked for the BTB1606 on that link, "sorry that's obsolete we can't get that either". Why are you doing this to me ?!

I then out of frustration looked for the same model elsewhere, it was on Thomann £80 cheaper, of Rich Tone for the same price as GG. I placed the order on RichTone today and am expecting delivery tomorrow. GG apologised and claimed I was 'doubly unlucky' to have encountered this issue, but along with the broken pickup (which I saw as their fault for not checking it before it went on display) I felt quite offput by the whole experience.

I do believe this was the last one in stock in the UK (in this colour).

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1468251010' post='3089573']
very nice, the ibanez premiums are alot of bass for your money, though the BTB is going to sound similar to the SR1605 as it has the same pickups and pre amp but i think they sound nice and growly
[/quote]

I figured I wanted something totally different to what I have (which is Fender/Musicman sounds) and something more suited to home playing (than covers bands) and that I might even record those songs in my head with (which are very soloesque).

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1468252989' post='3089595']
I figured I wanted something totally different to what I have (which is Fender/Musicman sounds) and something more suited to home playing (than covers bands) and that I might even record those songs in my head with (which are very soloesque).
[/quote]

well you will have acheived that as it is tonally very different, you can get an approximation of a P type tone by soloing the neck pickup but its still different (i have the same electrics in mine) though i use mine in our covers band and it sits nicely, i like to leave the eq on the bass as standard, part of me wishes id gone for the BTB over the SR but i like to stick with what i know

I've owned a BTB556 10 years ago and it was great apart from the neck which was not to my liking.
This one caught my eye before, I think the BTB1606 is one of the greatest looking BTB I've ever seen and it sounds great.
The 35" scale will add a strong and clear fundament to the tone.
I'm sure you will like it a lot!

That looks beautiful, I was quite interested when there was one for sale on here, but expensive to not know what they were like. I have since bought a budget one - a BTB455 to see what they are like, and I don't get on with the neck so probably lucky in my case, I am a confirmed SR player.

Have fun when it turns up!

It is AMAZING. Apart drom the obvious stunning appearance it backs it up with superb clarity of sound from the Nordstrand pickups and the EQ is very practical.

I still need to reprogram my hands to work on a 6 string but i am sure they will get lots of practise.

[Img]http://i.imgur.com/WWPzD0oh.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Machines

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1468352236' post='3090389']
Lovely looking thing that. (The bass, the bass)

How many reading this thread are thinking the same as me, in as much as that bass with the duff pickup went right back on display the minute you walked out of that shop?
[/quote]

Lol it didn't as it disappeared from the website as stock for that store ;).

Seriously this is a top notch piece of kit. If it were made in the US or UK it could demand over £2000. The premium fret edges are so smooth and the whole thing just feels classy. The last time I played something like this was an Overwater I had for a while.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1468353431' post='3090401']
Seriously this is a top notch piece of kit. If it were made in the US or UK it could demand over £2000. The premium fret edges are so smooth and the whole thing just feels classy. The last time I played something like this was an Overwater I had for a while.
[/quote]

^^this, amen to that

That looks really nice. I know how much I like my old BTB456, so I can imagine the new premium ones are just awesome. You get used to the big wide fretboard really quickly, and it helps you to keep your left hand nice and flat when you're playing as well.

I've got two Ibanez basses now (the BTB and an ATK300), and I'm after an SRC6 and a RGIB6 as well. For factory made instruments I think they they are the dogs.

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1468514352' post='3091511']
That looks really nice. I know how much I like my old BTB456, so I can imagine the new premium ones are just awesome. You get used to the big wide fretboard really quickly, and it helps you to keep your left hand nice and flat when you're playing as well.

I've got two Ibanez basses now (the BTB and an ATK300), and I'm after an SRC6 and a RGIB6 as well. For factory made instruments I think they they are the dogs.
[/quote]

Yes I had a 6 string before but because I didn't use it enough and I never really molded to it. I played it for an hour last night and then played my Cort 5 string afterwards, it felt very easy. I picked up my Precision after and it felt like a toy (only 4 strings, tut).

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1468586638' post='3091964']
I wish they still made the 4 string version!
[/quote]

I always thought it looked a bit odd as a 4 string. Like the body was too big and it was meant to be a 5/6. Same goes for the Yamaha TRB

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1468593777' post='3092035']

I always thought it looked a bit odd as a 4 string. Like the body was too big and it was meant to be a 5/6. Same goes for the Yamaha TRB
[/quote]

Yeah I always think that too... The proportions look a bit wrong.

That's a seriously good looking bass you've got there though :)

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I showed it to my Dad yesterday who is a guitar collector (can't play much now due to arthritis). He asked me how a cheap far east bass could cost so much and no pro players would use one. Then I showed him a pic of Dave Swift playing the exact same model :lol: