Why become a member? ×

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB315 - Japan'91 SOLD
£250

Shambo

I'm offering for sale the SGC Nanyo SB315 5 string bass I acquired earlier this year.

[s]I'm not sure exactly of the model number. Maybe a SB405, maybe a SB315?[/s] It has been suggested in the discussion thread for all things SGC Nanyo ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/697-obscure-musical-backwaters/page__hl__nanyo__st__360"]http://basschat.co.u..._nanyo__st__360[/url]) that this instrument may have been fitted with an after market pre-amp which has given it an active push/pull knob. Any thoughts on its model number would be welcome.

Made in Japan, the serial number has been placed inside the pre amp cavity and dates it to 1991. It has a brass nut and Gotoh hardware. I believe the pups are original purely based the fact that the covers are stamped SGC, (the neck pup stamp has faded).

The body has a light scuff marking all over which can't really be seen in the photos. Nothing serious, no dings, its just a well played bass. Pretty good for a 25 year old instrument, I'd give it 8/10. The neck is smooth, slim, straight and stable. I've never needed to adjust the truss rod which is accessed from the headstock. Holds it tuning excellently. It came to me wearing scruffly dirty flats and its now wearing new flats. The frets show its worn rounds at some point in its life, but are also in great condition for its age.

In the attached photobucket, the outdoor pictures are when I first bought it, and the indoor pictures are taken this week. Since I bought it I've cleaned it thoroughly, blasted the pots with compressed air, (still a little scratchiness but that's been fading with use), and it's wearing new Status flatwounds.

It has J + J pups which is different from the more common P + J configuration. To my mind it has a very clean, cutting, modern sound, (strangely, by modern I mean 1980's). I don't honestly know what all the pre amp controls do, and that's the main reason I'm prepared to move it on. There's volume for each pup and a push pull active passive knob which might also control tone. The fourth knob is a stacked affair which might be an EQ sweep. Like I say, owning this bass has made me realise I prefer something less fiddly. Not the instruments fault, just not the right bass for me at this time.

I have no scales so can't tell you the exact weight but, like most instruments of its ilk, it's really lightweight. The lightest bass I've ever owned maybe, at a guess I'd say sub 9lb.

This has been my first 5 string bass after playing on and off for 25 years and its been a relatively painless experience. Apart from the expected fumbling over where I was expecting notes to be from muscle memory, I think its a perfect first time 5 string.

It owes me £250 [s]and that is the price I'm asking for it.[/s] Any audition is welcome in Plymouth and I will post to the mainland UK for an extra £20. No case or bag with the instrument but I will suitably mummify and double box it for a next day delivery. Check my feedback or PM me for any questions. I'm not offering overseas sales because it has no hard case. Specific photo's are available on request.

These basses offer fantastic value for money and I'd be keeping hold of it if it wasn't for being skint, and missing my old passive fender. [s]To this end, I'll entertain a straight trade for a Classic Vibe Squier (60's Precision or Jazz) or perhaps trade up a little for something mexican or more, (but bear in mind that I'm a poor student and broke till September). [/s]
[b]No trades now please. Reduced to £200.[/b]
[attachment=223316:IMG_1294.JPG]

[url="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/Shambo/library/SGC%20Nanyo%205%20String"]http://s756.photobuc...yo%205%20String[/url]

I think that's everything. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Shambo

Awesome basses and I have 3 of them all 5 Strings.
If it helps weight is likely to be between 7 and 7.5 Lbs based on the weights of my 3 and the pre-amp looks like a Seymour Duncan and is almost certainly an aftermarket job.
GLWTS as anyone going for this will not be disappointed..

I'm pretty certain it's an SB315. It looks like a 300 series and black hardware means 300 or 310 series. If it was originally active then a 310 series otherwise a 300 series. And the 5 strings make it a 315. The 400 series have some rather nice exotic wood finishes and look a bit different to this.

My old SB315 was 7lb 9oz so yours is almost definitely sub-9lb, probably less.

Good luck with the sale, these are always great basses.