Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to the Cabronita Precision?

Grahambythesea

Having recently seen one of these for sale on the Cash Converters Website for under £400, I thought I'd check out the spec, but they are no longer on the Fender website, so I guess they are no longer made. Given that all the reviews i read about were very positive, I wonder why Fender would pull the plug on them after such a short time of manufacture (l'm guessing only 2 years and even shorter for the Squier version?). So were they really not a success? What do members think of them? Are they potentially a future classic or one to avoid?

I had the squire version. Loved the feel and tone but the misaligned E string with the pup was something I couldn't get over. The E string would literally bloom rather than an instant attack that the other strings had

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1468314950' post='3089996']
Having recently seen one of these for sale on the Cash Converters Website for under £400, I thought I'd check out the spec, but they are no longer on the Fender website, so I guess they are no longer made. Given that all the reviews i read about were very positive, I wonder why Fender would pull the plug on them after such a short time of manufacture (l'm guessing only 2 years and even shorter for the Squier version?). So were they really not a success? What do members think of them? Are they potentially a future classic or one to avoid?
[/quote]

Loved the Cabronita, but of all things, the pickup I'd have ended swapping out, which was it's selling point. I still keep an eye out for one going cheap but funds are never available when one comes up. The big fat neck, tele headstock and reverse tuners are very cool along with the high mass bridge. Having reviewed one, it was a thumbs up - maybe the Mike Dirnt sig is the nearest equivalent.

I have (had) the Squier and it's a great bass. I'm just in the process of upgrading my kit but managed 3 years exclusively playing Squire basses. I customised mine with ashtray covers and a 51 style pickguard but these are good basses and the pickup is killer.

• 3 years later...
23 minutes ago, gareth said:

Whatever happened to the Cabronita Precision?”

Having sold my Fender Radcal I pressed the button and will be collecting this next week 

So I’ll let you know 

BEC75303-89F8-46A2-AAE6-82AA8E40437E.jpeg

Sweet. 

Bought one last year but seller had a better offer so just refunded,would've been nice if he'd told me. Ended up building one instead.

PB110095 (2).JPG

• Like 2

I’ve always really liked the look. I’ve had three of the Squier ones. They work particularly well with pedals I think. The first I played a bit then sold. Then I had a notion of adding a stingray type pre, so I brought a second and added a retrovibe “stinger” - that worked pretty well, but once I’d satisfied my curiosity I sold it on. I still like the look and saw a guy in Spain making replacement pups using p type magnets and wire so I got it and brought a third! Added a KiOgon loom - it’s good! Has a nice focussed sound with the pup being a bit closer to the bridge. I also put a threaded bbot bridge on as the high mass type always seemed out of proportion.

Never seen a MIM Fender one second hand, but would be tempted I found one.

• Like 2