Why become a member? ×

Refret question.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1468331385' post='3090178']
The frets are going up and down like speed bumps in some places - it's a 1978 model, so it's had a bit of a journey. I suspect it's a little past a simple truss rod tweak and a fret-dress.
P
[/quote]

Who said anything about a truss rod tweak and fret dress. I'm talking about a proper re leveling, re crowning and mirror like polish. Works wonders!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1468691428' post='3092725']
Who said anything about a truss rod tweak and fret dress. I'm talking about a proper re leveling, re crowning and mirror like polish. Works wonders!
[/quote]

This man speaks wisely.

Before going for a refret, take it to someone who does this kind of work and ask for their opinion. You may be surprised.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1468691428' post='3092725']
Who said anything about a truss rod tweak and fret dress.
[/quote]

No one, but the inference was that my gut feeling was just preempting the 'have you adjusted the neck' style question. I'm back in the UK now, so am pursuing this.

I had a 72 Jazzmaster once. The frets were worse than that and the luthier I took it to said there was enough left. He dressed, levelled, crowned etc... and it played better that it ever had. That said he did say next time I'd need a refret. It also depends on if you like low frets and your playing style as to if low profile frets would work.

So it will depend on which luthier you take it to and their personal experience and preference on what they would do to it. From mine, I'd say there's enough there.

Based on the pic there could be as many as a dozen fret levellings & dressings left in those frets - provided they are all the same hieight. It'll all depend on the shortest fret!
Why is there always a shortest fret? because even if the wood is perfectly level before fretting it'll shift slightly when the frets are pressed in. Also over time the neck will change shape slightly (especially a neck with improperly seasoned wood, or open grain, e.g. a typical unfinished "rosewood" fingerboard).

What you're looking for is the shortest fret or frets - for a set neck take a long look at the neck & body joint . . . it can often buldge and need a lot more material taken off the frets to get them level - as seen on 2/3rds of the acoustic guitars I've seen in the wild!
Keep in mind a partial refret is always an option - a cheaper option than a full refret, especially if it's only one or two frets, and the fret slots can be reused without being resawed!

• 2 weeks later...

All done. I met with the OP yesterday. We had a nice pizza and a chat and I took the bass away. I did the work yesterday evening and tried it again this morning.

It's a really nice bass. Some of the frets had some serious dents. But it's all leveled pretty well.

Paul also told me about a hum problem. If you touched the pup a hum started. I then the hum stopped if you touched the tone control. I looked into this and found there was no earth to the tone pot. Also the earth-wire on the bridge wasn't connected to anything in the circuit.

So I fixed all the earth issues and set it up. Paul likes a low action, so it's now set with all strings with a clearance of 2.25mm under each of the strings at the 20th fret. I also set the pup heights to 3mm from each of the strings.

Had a noodle this morning. It's playing well (the bass, not me - that would take more than a set-up to achieve)
No fret-buzz, clanks or anything. Really liking this bass. Sigh!! Another beauty that I'll never own.

The nut is low on the G string, as suggested earlier, but it's not a problem. I could consider building the G-slot up a tiny bit, but it's not causing and buzzes. Also, as Paul likes a low action and he's not adverse to some fret noise I'd leave the nut alone.

All ready for taking back to Paul now.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers Richard!

I was going to give you a set of strings as well, but I'll sort that out next month at the Bash. Looks amazing considering some of the frets looked like speed bumps and I couldn't get the action down lower. Hopefully, this will see things straight for the next 38 years or so...I think you really need to post a full photo of was an old bass looks like when it's been battered about a bit. :)

Paul

Edited by NancyJohnson

I had a fret job done on a vintage BC Rich bass I bought a few months ago - I thought it would need a re-fret as they were in a terrible state but the guy I took it to said it just needed a level & a dressing and it would be as good as new. He was right too. :-)