Why become a member? ×

What happened to SWR?

Gunsfreddy2003

I bought some SWR cabs last year which I have been very impressed with. I was thinking about getting some more but it seems that SWR have disappeared, there is a website but it doesn't go anywhere when you click on the the page links.

I seem to recall that the company was bought by Fender but don't know much else after that. Seems such a shame that they have gone if that is indeed what has happened?

If anyone can enlighten me it would be appreciated.

Yup, Fender bought them to bolster their own range of bass amps, but SWR were lagging behind the curve at that point, so although they made great amps, the technology wasn't up to date enough.
They absorbed all the tech and ended up shutting SWR down.
They've done exactly the same with Genz Benz too, although they bought them at a much better time and have benefitted from the acquisition.

Sad though, I agree with CamdenRob, I always lusted after SWR as a kid too...

Cheers,
Eude

I'm confused- so if they didn't have new tech for fender and fender didn't want to keep selling under the SWR name then why did they buy it? (I suppose the same question could be asked of several makes and several conglomerate overlords but y'know..?)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1468329821' post='3090166']
They bought market share.... SWR did not do D Class very well, as that is where all were heading Fender felt SWR did not do enough to enhance their stable. Stupid, but hey Fender see Fender do.
[/quote]

And the headlite and amplite had so much promise!

This is why I am hanging on to my SM1500. It may be the biggest heaviest unpractical beast but by god the tone is to die for, and coupled with the Goliath Snr, its a stadium ready rig.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1468329821' post='3090166']
They bought market share.... SWR did not do D Class very well, as that is where all were heading Fender felt SWR did not do enough to enhance their stable. Stupid, but hey Fender see Fender do.
[/quote]
I've heard of this in other fields too.. buy up the competition just to close them down. Eventually all that's left to buy is your gear.

Blimey - lots of love for SWR here, I expect their 2nd hand value to start rising soon!

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1468335261' post='3090225']
I owned a Goliath Snr and a Henry 8, Tone wise they where by far better than anything I had since.
[/quote]

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1468335197' post='3090224']
I've heard of this in other fields too.. buy up the competition just to close them down.
[/quote]More often the buyout is used to acquire manufacturing facilities and/or technology more cheaply than building/developing your own. That's an especially attractive option if the company is acquired for a bargain price because they weren't doing well. The situations with respect to GM and SAAB, or Ford with Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover are similar, and they didn't work out well either. Those auto brands only survived because GM and Ford ended up needing the funds that they got by reselling those brands more than they needed manufacturing facilities for their own brands that also weren't doing well. Of course, SAAB is still in a state of limbo.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1468334917' post='3090222']
This is why I am hanging on to my SM1500. It may be the biggest heaviest unpractical beast but by god the tone is to die for, and coupled with the Goliath Snr, its a stadium ready rig.
[/quote]

Word..:lol:

I can't see the way to sell my SM400..they don't them like that anymore...or if they do, so much more money.

Mine is 25 yrs plus ... and I feel only the last few years have a couple of amps started to put it away.
But they still tend to be quality U.S made models.

Set up my 350X and my 2 Yamaha BBT210 cabs at rehearsal tonight and it sounded mighty fine, I tell ye!

Dare I say, it sounded better than my gigging rig for the mood I was in tonight, much grittier. Nowhere near as loud though.

If I had the cash, I'd be looking at the 900 or whatever it is in the classifieds.......

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1468357980' post='3090457']
If I had the cash, I'd be looking at the 900 or whatever it is in the classifieds.......

D.
[/quote]

Its worth every penny I tell you ;-)

I'd concur with the comments about the desire to own SWR gear, but for me it was always too expensive* :(

And as for Fender subsuming the brand and ultimately killing it off, well that just hurts even more. They did the same with Hamer.

*[Edit] Christ on a bike. I used to own a 4x10 Workingman...I'd completely forgotten about it. It weighed a ton.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1468326507' post='3090126']
Yup, Fender bought them to bolster their own range of bass amps, but SWR were lagging behind the curve at that point, so although they made great amps, the technology wasn't up to date enough.
They absorbed all the tech and ended up shutting SWR down.
[/quote]

If the 'technology wasn't up to date' quote holds water, it's amazing as the core Fender business is based on around ten guitars, the designs of which are now 55-60 years old AND they're also producing instruments that look this age as part of their range.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1468390836' post='3090551']
If the 'technology wasn't up to date' quote holds water, it's amazing as the core Fender business is based on around ten guitars, the designs of which are now 55-60 years old AND they're also producing instruments that look this age as part of their range.
[/quote]

Yeah it's a weird one, Fender have never really managed to make a success of their bass amps, even though they do make nice guitar amps. Like you mentioned on the guitar front, their successful guitar amps are based on old old designs.
Bass amps continue to evolve and bassists continue to try new things, whereas guitarists, well most of them, don't seem all that bothered.
To be fair to Fender, they have actually made some pretty decent bass amps along the way, particularly this era of kit >> http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2345100010
I have a feeling this stuff was just before, or quite possibly just after they bought SWR.
Their latest Rumble stuff by most accounts is pretty bloody good too, but for some reason they just don't seem to be able to shift many units...

Regardless, I'd love to see a resurgence of SWR, if it might ever be possible.
I never got to play through much of their gear, just a Redhead 2x10 Combo in a studio, but I have fond memories of watching a band regularly in Glasgow where the bassist had an SWR Baby Bly 2x8 combo and matching extension cab and it sounded lovely!
I also caught a band where the bassist had a Henry the 8x8 cab and wo momma it sounded huge!

Sad to see good brands get swallowed up and spat out :(

Eude