Why become a member? ×

NBD - US Fender Dimension Deluxe 5

mattbass6

I've just taken delivery of my new US Fender Deluxe Dimension 5. I've always been a Fender fan and had a few but for some reason, apart from my '86 MIJ Precision (pimped like Steve Harris's bass), I've always moved them on. I foolishly moved on a beautiful US Standard Precision 5 and instantly, regretted it. Anyway, my Fender craving returned. After a dalliance with a lovely Bongo 5H, I decided it wasn't for me and started the search for the missing Fender. After a thread on here about a new purchase someone had made at Anderton's, I went straight there and saw my new baby. It had everything I love, maple board, satin finish neck, active 3 band EQ and looked lush plus, it was an incredibly silly and ultimately tempting price. After a weekend of justifying myself it was "OK" to buy, I pulled the trigger yesterday and today, it turned up.

I was so nervous when it arrived. What if it was not right? Would I ever find the Fender to stay with me for more than 6 months? What if it looked great but felt wrong? Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, with deliberately tempered excitement, I opened the case, instantly gasped at it's beauty and then completely fell in love with the neck, feel and weight of the bass. Nicely setup, too. Happy would be an understatement. So relieved. The next few days will be spent in the studio really getting to grips with it but, I have a feeling this is a keeper. A perfect partner in crime to my Vigier Excess 5. It is SO good to be back "home" :) #FenderHeaven #Bass #Home

PS I'll put more pictures up later. The one attached was the one I took as soon as I opened the case.......

Edited by mattbass6

Hi Graham, I can report that the B is just fantastic, genuinely. It is tight, responsive and clear. I had a really good play with it last night and recorded some parts from my album that I did with the Vigier. Obviously different but, I could get close to the sound if I needed to. The neck is to die for. Absolutely a joy to play and I'm amazed at the weight of this thing. The setup is pretty good as well. I will get it set up with my preferred strings and, action height but I was surprised at how well it plays out of the box. I also love the simple things i.e. it comes with strap locks on. I hate having to add strap locks to basses. I am so scared the screw driver is going to slip. Nice touch and I don't know why more companies don't do this. Anyway, I'll shut up but I will say, that I am definitely going to be having a lot of fun with this bass. Fender really have come up with another winner. If you get a chance to check them out, do it ;)

PS More photos added above.......

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1468403849' post='3090658']
Fantastic.
Strangely the Dimensions and Cabronitas are the only Fenders
that interest me, I'm too late for the Cabronita party

Congrats on a lovely bass.
[/quote]

Thanks kodiakblair. I like the fact that these are different as well. So glad I pulled the trigger on it. If you get the chance, definitely try one ;)

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1468405150' post='3090664']
Looks good. I see Squier are doing them now......

[/quote]

Hi Colin. I bought the Squire version about a year ago and liked it but, I didn't like the varnished neck so I sold it to my drummer who loved it. THat was my only "gripe" though. It played beautifully and sounding great. It was punching well above it's weight for the price. I do love the way they look :)

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1468521232' post='3091557']
Great to see a new Fender that isn't a P or J.

Do like the look of these - nice score - enjoy!
[/quote]

Yeah, that's how I feel about them. Fender have done a super job with this bass. Cheers ;)

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1468523714' post='3091587']
I find them good looking in a weird kind of way too, like with MM Bongos. Unconventionaly pretty. Even prettier when held by Nik West!
[/quote]

The first time I saw a Bongo, I wanted one. It's how I felt when I first saw the Dimension bass, too. Stunning bit of kit ;)

I like the look of them too. I tried one of the early ones with the dial a tone control thingy (Modern Player?) in PMT when I popped in there a couple of years back and was impressed at the time - I think the more conventional controls on this are better. You mention the weight a couple of times - amazed as in light or heavy? What do they weigh? A lightweight 5 string is not to be sniffed at. And how wide is the neck at the nut, please?

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1468520283' post='3091550']
Nice!

They're a funny looking thing, but I've always found them strangely appealing. What's the balance like on a strap with the short top horn please?
[/quote]

The balance is perfect. No dive and sits so comfortably. My bass is quite light and wither on your lap or on a strap, there are no balance issues :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1468607741' post='3092160']
I like the look of them too. I tried one of the early ones with the dial a tone control thingy (Modern Player?) in PMT when I popped in there a couple of years back and was impressed at the time - I think the more conventional controls on this are better. You mention the weight a couple of times - amazed as in light or heavy? What do they weigh? A lightweight 5 string is not to be sniffed at. And how wide is the neck at the nut, please?
[/quote]

I'm amazed at the weight in the sense that it is pretty light. I was expecting it to be heavy for some reason but, it isn't. No idea of the weight I'm afraid and, I don't have scales at home. I will try and find out for you though. As for width at the nut, I believe it is 1.75" It is very comfortable and the neck has a compound radius ranging from 9.5" to 14". I hope that helps :)

I've just had it professionally set up by the guy I always go to. He dressed the frets, shaped the nut to accommodate the strings I use, lowered the action a little and made one small adjustment on the neck as it was pretty damn straight anyway. With the strings on I use plus, the other work carried out, I am even more in love with this bass. Definitely going to be my main live bass and I'll keep the Vigier for the studio. Super chuffed with this beauty, as you can probably tell. Can't wait for the first gigs ;)

[quote name='mattbass6' timestamp='1468837677' post='3093609']
I'm amazed at the weight in the sense that it is pretty light. I was expecting it to be heavy for some reason but, it isn't. No idea of the weight I'm afraid and, I don't have scales at home. I will try and find out for you though. As for width at the nut, I believe it is 1.75" It is very comfortable and the neck has a compound radius ranging from 9.5" to 14". I hope that helps :)
[/quote]

Thanks!

They look a bit like an active version of the Korean Squier Protone Bass V from the mid 1990's (high mass bridge, humbuckers, light weight). I always swore I'd never play a Fender (or Squier) but it's my go to bass now.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1468847166' post='3093719']
They look a bit like an active version of the Korean Squier Protone Bass V from the mid 1990's (high mass bridge, humbuckers, light weight). I always swore I'd never play a Fender (or Squier) but it's my go to bass now.

[/quote]

That's a fine looking instrument. Nice :) I am a Fender guy at heart and, always will be. I wish Fender 21 fret Precision or P/J. I know they did a Deluxe P bass years ago that had the standard P pup and a humbucking J pup, too. Hard to find but, still looking. That's one of the reasons I love this Dimension so much. It is something different, 21 frets and brings me back home. Thanks for sharing the pic of your bass, very cool indeed :)