Why become a member? ×

audio - visual transducers - NON BASS RELATED

Left Foot

Hi there brainy people.

I'm hoping you can tell me what I need to solder together...

How can I take an audio signal and convert it into a visual signal. Or what variants on that audio/visual syncopation are possible and in what format?

I basically need to know what Transducers to use and if these are common within a certain type of box / gizmo / device.

Looking on Wiki - I need a circuit featuring an Electroacoustic transducer running into a Cathode-ray tube (CRT) : meaning that I can plug a normal jack lead into this circuit and get an audio (Hdmi/SVGA/VGA) out - which can then be plugged into a projector for example...

Is there anything out there that does that?

Edited by Left Foot

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1468408003' post='3090699']
Hi there brainy people.

I'm hoping you can tell me what I need to solder together...

How can I take an audio signal and convert it into a visual signal. Or what variants on that audio/visual syncopation are possible and in what format?

I basically need to know what Transducers to use and if these are common within a certain type of box / gizmo / device.

Looking on Wiki - I need a circuit featuring an Electroacoustic transducer running into a Cathode-ray tube (CRT) : meaning that I can plug a normal jack lead into this circuit and get an audio (Hdmi/SVGA/VGA) out - which can then be plugged into a projector for example...

[/quote]

Not clear on what type of visual display or image you're looking to get.
CRT probably a bit outdated ???

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1468408003' post='3090699']...
[/quote]

Like this..?

Reaper (on a laptop, for portability..?), doing FFT audio analysis.
An oscilloscope will do this, of course, but one with VGA o/p is likely to cost £5000 or so.

mmorris - Any kind what so ever, just a strobe light flicker or anything - general

Huge - Maybe, but I forgot to mention Id like to do this analogue.

Dad- I have no idea what that is! Is that the post Brexit stock market? Yeah not so much an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]oscilloscope but any other visual signal.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Edited by Left Foot

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1468418806' post='3090805']...
Dad- I have no idea what that is! Is that the post Brexit stock market?
[/quote]

Well it was going to be my contribution to the July Basschat Composition Challenge, but maybe I should reconsider..? :lol:

On topic, what exactly would you like to see on this screen (take a virtual pencil and sketch something to show us what you want..?).

Windows media player used to have a "Visualiser" that generates graphics on the fly from an audio track. I don't think it has a way to do it on live audio but there is bound to be some software out there that can.

As for going analogue, that won't be easy to do much more than simple volume-related i.e. signal voltage. More complex might be possible with band-pass flters - which would need a bit of reading and research. But then how would you feed it into the monitor. I think I'd forget about modifying a CRT unless you really know what you are doing - there are some pretty high voltages therein!

Well this is for a drone project, where we take a signal generator and modulate it. I usually have some prepared visuals going on in the background that loosely relate to the 'story arc' of the drone. But I'm after some more in sync and connected, for example.

I'm checking out James Alex Hardy's work, seems 'simple' enough...

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago a guy built me the worlds first sound to light chassis (I'm deadly serious, this came out of several long conversations about the 'new' thyristors) - circuit seemed to consist of a couple of speaker crossovers and a lot of post-signal circuitry - the result was four different colour flashing bulbs along with the music.

:)