Why become a member? ×

Switching bass during a gig

Santa

Hi Guys & Girls.

How may you recommend is best for switching from passive to active basses quickly during a gig. Currently I switch by hitting the 10db cut on my ToneHammer 350. I am switching from a passive J / P Bass to an active Status S2. What could I add to make switching between both instruments more precise in terms of DI output and optimised eq for each instrument?

Thanks in advance

Fender MIM P Bass
Fender MIM J Bass
Status S2

Aguilar TH350
Bergantino HT112
Bergantino EX112ER

In the past I've used a volume swell pedal where you can set the amount of volume cut when the pedal is tilted fully back. That way when I plugged in the hotter bass I just pushed the pedal back fully for fixed amount of volume cut to keep it level with the other bass.

Chinagraph pencil. Mark the gain & EQ settings for your various basses on the amp so you can go to them quickly & easily.
Always worked perfectly for me, though it might not appeal to people who like to have an excuse to buy another bit of kit for no reason.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1468538975' post='3091702']

Cheap as chips option. You can set the output level of each channel to your amp on the pedal. I've got one, works perfectly
[/quote]

Is that clean? doesn't colour the sound in any way?

... looks a very useful bit of kit.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1468564175' post='3091733']

Is that clean? doesn't colour the sound in any way?

... looks a very useful bit of kit.
[/quote]

I've not noticed any colouration Rob

I asked a similar question not long ago, and got tons of good advice. Thread here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285994-changing-basses-changing-levels/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

The consensus was either a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lehle or a BOSS LS-2. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd not seen the Behringer option before, but it wouldn't solve my problem with one in and two outs; what you need is multiple ins and one out! If you have a multi-channel amp that's different. [/font][/color]

Edited by bigjimmyc

Well, you could just replace the Fenders with a Sandberg, the preamp on them has absolutely no volume/gain loss between active and passive, and then just use one bass the entire gig. On a cheaper option just put a Glockenklang preamp on the bass you like the most. :)

In a more serious and realistic note, if your amp has a passive and a active input you can use a line selector like the Boss AB-2 - bass goes in input, output A to passive, output B to active.

Cheap as chips option. You can set the output level of each channel to your amp on the pedal. I've got one, works perfectly
[/quote]
I'm glad I've seen this thread because I have recently been musing about this problem after the rejuvenation of my active basses. I will be buying one of these!

Thank you Mojo and Santa!

[/quote]

This ^^ I got mine for a tenner and does exactly what it says on the tin.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1468569477' post='3091778']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'd not seen the Behringer option before, but it wouldn't solve my problem with one in and two outs; what you need is multiple ins and one out! If you have a multi-channel amp that's different. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Look closer! It can do two in and one out.

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1468590879' post='3092007']
Look closer! It can do two in and one out.
[/quote]Oh yeah I see the microswitch now. I would get the BOSS every day and twice on Sunday though - vastly more versatile. You get what you pay for IMO.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1468538305' post='3091698']
Chinagraph pencil. Mark the gain & EQ settings for your various basses on the amp so you can go to them quickly & easily.
Always worked perfectly for me, though it might not appeal to people who like to have an excuse to buy another bit of kit for no reason.
[/quote]

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1468597287' post='3092060']
Oh yeah I see the microswitch now. I would get the BOSS every day and twice on Sunday though - vastly more versatile. You get what you pay for IMO.
[/quote]

How is it more versatile? if all your looking for is something to balance the output of 2 basses the Behringer is all you need.

[/quote]

I don't know why people think you can set the levels differently when using it as an A-B switch on the inputs. You can't. The only time you can set the levels differently is when you use it with a single input and A-B between two amplifiers - ie. two outputs and one input. You can't set the channels to different levels if you're switching between two inputs.

Cant you just turn the volume of whichever is the louder one down so that it is the same volume as the quieter one, assuming you don't have a preset on the amp?

I use the switch on the TC RH450 so when I switch from my ibanezs / P-Bass / J-Bass (all about the same level) to the G&L2500 (OMG why is it so loud passive or active) I can turn it down without overloading. Before that I just used to leave the G&Ls volume down!