Why become a member? ×

Adjusting to a five

JuliusGroove

This will probably be deemed as wrong by the experts, but when I did it, I kept my right (plucking) hand in the same position as a 4 string, which was to have my thumb resting on the E String (which on a 5 string became between the B and E string).

This allowed for good muting of both strings when not playing them, and meant my hand was still in the same position relative to the EADG strings.

As the years have gone on, I've changed my hand position, and (I think due to this) I now find it harder to go back to a 4 string than when my hand was as I've said above!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1468582863' post='3091926']
When I started on 5s I found just playing a walking bass line over and over really helped, as instead of shifting up you can drop down without shifting hand position.
[/quote]

Yeah I've been hitting some walking lines just to remember I don't have to shift!

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1468583250' post='3091932']
This will probably be deemed as wrong by the experts, but when I did it, I kept my right (plucking) hand in the same position as a 4 string, which was to have my thumb resting on the E String (which on a 5 string became between the B and E string).

This allowed for good muting of both strings when not playing them, and meant my hand was still in the same position relative to the EADG strings.

As the years have gone on, I've changed my hand position, and (I think due to this) I now find it harder to go back to a 4 string than when my hand was as I've said above!
[/quote]

Yep, I found the biggest challenge was muting the B string - this led me to adopt the floating-thumb technique, which I now prefer on fours too.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1468586130' post='3091957']
Put your 4 string basses away until the 5er becomes second nature.
[/quote]

Good advice - jump in at the deep end!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1468586130' post='3091957']
A 5 string bass is just another bass with an extra string and a couple of extra notes.

Put your 4 string basses away until the 5er becomes second nature.
[/quote]

Yeah I only keep that one out at the moment. Gonna finish this weeks gigs on my four then throw myself in on the five next week!

Main things with readjusting to a 5 is muting more so in the picking hand (moveable anchor or floating thumb if you're playing fingerstyle), getting acquainted with the lower range (scales and arppeggios) and learning to use the lower range tastefully. It can be tempting to "ride the hell out of it", but that gets old very quickly.

The other thing you have to readjust to is that the string closest to you is now a B string as opposed to an E string, so learning all the notes on it is pretty crucial. I remember using my first 5 on a gig and screwing up a few things by forgetting the point made above, and had to spend the rest of the gig using it as a 4 string. Live and learn...

Edited by louisthebass

Best tip: don't make it out to be harder than it is, and just practise. You give up a level of freedom as you need to be a bit more precise with your right hand, but it is easier as well as you can maintain position with your left more. And 2nd tip: continue to use your 4 strings as well. It makes changing between 4 and 5 easier later on.

You will also find that 80% of what you play (assuming you don't down tune to c or such) does not require a 5th string. From a drop D perspective you only win a B, C and C# with a fiver.

One of the reasons I generally take both 4 and 5-ers to a gig.

Edited by HazBeen

+1 for don't complicate things.

One thing at a time. Floating Thumb is not essential to playing a 5 string bass. You will never see any of the "greats" using FT anywhere.

Just focus on extending your current technique to cover the new instrument. It will work if you give it time.