Why become a member? ×

Truss Rod Rattle

tess

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1468615733' post='3092235']
I spent ages trying to cure the rattle in one of my trussrods. Then just before I sold it I found out it was the machinehead!
[/quote]

I spent ages trying to find out what was buzzing when I played the A string. It turned out to be the G-string tuning head. What often happens with Fender-type heads, is the big clover-leaf gets lose in the rod.

Truss rod buzzes usually sorted by adjusting truss rod. Tighten slightly, or if this fails, loosen rod, give neck a gentle push in the middle whilst holding headstock then retighten rod. If this fails I am with Grangur on this one, it is something else. One of my Warwicks has a seriously irritating buzz on unfretted A. I know it is the truss rod cover and one day will sort it, one day soon :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1468615733' post='3092235']
I spent ages trying to cure the rattle in one of my trussrods. Then just before I sold it I found out it was the machinehead!
[/quote]

I've had this on 2 basses.

One of which was a Farida - made in the same factory (with the same machine heads) as the Matt Freeman.

[quote name='tess' timestamp='1468618182' post='3092256']
Hi All

Well it just goes to show if you ask questions you will get the answer,& guess what, it was the "ear" of the G machine head, its loose

Thank you to all

Tess
[/quote]
Send me a pic of the tuner and the measurements between the fixing holes. I still have the old set of tuners I had. Mine was a Squier too. If your luck is in, mine might be the same.