Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass possibly damaged

dajbass

Hi everyone. :)

I recently bought very nice acoustic bass, in really great condition, but there is this possible damage that concerns me.
I am not an expert and I can see that horizontal "cracks" on both sides are actually place where 2 pieces of wood were connected together, but I am not sure if those are just surface cracks in TLC or it could be more serious...

Please if you could give me your opinion, it is much appreciated.
Thanks!

[url="http://oi64.tinypic.com/efl2fa.jpg"]http://oi64.tinypic.com/efl2fa.jpg[/url]
[url="http://oi66.tinypic.com/11mci3b.jpg"]http://oi66.tinypic.com/11mci3b.jpg[/url]

The cracks parallel to the line of the neck are along the join between the neck and the heel extension. The first photo also shows cracking parallel to the neck/body joint.

I can't say from the photos whether the cracks go any deeper than the lacquer.

Hi @JapanAxe,

Yes, there is also vertical crack on first photo, but in person, that one looks like only on TLC.
I am worried about those horizontal ones on both sides. Like you said, they are along the join between the neck and the heel extension.
Do you have any experience with that kind of damage or you know someone who had? Could this be serious problem?

I am newbie and I don't know what should I do, i payed a lot for this instrument and it was advertised as "EX" and seller told me it was in excellent condition.
On photos that he sent me I didn't notice cracks cause of angles, and also he didn't make any of this side from my first photo.
I am waiting for his reply, but would like to hear opinions from more experienced people.

Thanks!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1468658518' post='3092392']
Do you have access to a luthier near to you. Get them to look at the cracks and give a diagnosis. My initial feeling from the pictures is that I would not describe it as EX condition.
[/quote]

I agree. I have no skill with woodwork, let alone luthiery - an expert eye is what you need.

It sounds like you paid, what is for you at least, a good bit of cash for this. My gut feeling is send it back. Even if it COULD be considered in excellent condition, I wouldn't be keen to keep it.
After all, you can get an acoustic Harley Benton for not much money that would appear to be better built than that is. Good luck.

Looking at the pics I think there just in the lacquer. I can't say for certain though.
However if the cracks were not described and were hard to see in the pics then I would certainly either send it back or get a partial refund (if I knew it was just the lacquer). I think as others have said you should get a refund and send it back.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I think you should send it back.

I've built two acoustic 6 string steel guitars and they are built the same way. One of mine was bolt-on neck and the other dovetail. However, in both cases, the only way that I can see that you would have a through crack here is if the neck has had a hefty whack from the top - digging the heel in and then splitting the heel at the join of the extension.

If it was an old favourite that you had had for years and still played alright, I would say leave well alone and hope for the best. But a pricey new purchase bought as excellent...no chance. It might be alright, but there is a high likelihood that the neck now has movement at the joint and would at some stage need a complete 'fretboard off, neck off, reset and refinish' job. Those jobs are not easy, not cheap and not guaranteed to leave you with a playable guitar...