Why become a member? ×

Bow Peep

Just acquired one of these:

MMX Carbon Weave German pattern bow from Peter Hall Violins in Beverley, East Yorkshire. I also tried a less expensive Artino carbon composite bow, but it didn't feel anywhere near as good as this one. I've also started some proper lessons with Pietro Lusvardi, who recommended I get a bow to check my intonation is OK as I practice. He's also got me starting to read the dots as well. So, off in a direction I didn't expect — arco and reading. At the same time. Loving it, much to my surprise. :P :blink: :)

I have a carbon-fibre bow for my nyckelharpa, made by the good folks at Incredibow. They do them for basses too. The hairs are synthetic and you don't "untension" them when not in use (and they don't seem to break like the natural ones do). It has a different, glassier tone compared with my traditional wooden one. I like them both, but on balance I usually find it easier to get a good tone with the wood and hair one.

I have a Contrabass Shoppe carbon bow as my fallback bow for when I don't want to use the thousands of pounds of artistry sitting in the other side of the bow case! It's a really good bow, fabulous value for money. I'd recommend it to anyone. In my experience you'd have to double the price to find a better Pernambuco bow.

I've been very pleased with my carbon bow with natural hair from Dictum (https://www.dictum.com/en/tools) - I've always been a huge fan of their beautiful tools, especially the Japanese woodworking tools, and (in my ignorant and amateurish judgement) the bow seems like a very well-priced item. It's certainly transformed my double bass playing, trying to play with a bow. It puts your intonation, shifting and vibrato under an extremely critical spotlight.