Why become a member? ×

Best Budget Octave Pedal?

Mattbass97

Hello all,

Haven't posted in a few years so I'm just getting back into the forum!

I'm on the look for a reliable affordable/budget octaver that is sub £80 so the classic OC-2/3 are out of the question unfortunately.

I'm doing a musical/theatre gig soon and require one for some funky disco tunes.

Any recommendations?

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1468691108' post='3092724']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/288209-pedal-train-nano-effects/page__pid__3090021#entry3090021"]http://basschat.co.u...21#entry3090021[/url]

There's a Markbass Octave pedal for sale here - I've not played through one myself but they have a reputation as an excellent Boss OC2 clone.
[/quote]

Cheers, I messaged him earlier and it had been sold!

The Chord OC-50 is the cheapest octaver I've owned... Ironically it was also one of the best! Can be had for about £25 delivered brand new from Amazon. It's a clone of the OC2 with an additional switchable drive setting that adds a nice, useable synthy dirt sound. Also tracked reliably to a low G! If I ever need an octaver again that'll be the one I'll buy...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1468694969' post='3092749']
The Chord OC-50 is the cheapest octaver I've owned... Ironically it was also one of the best! Can be had for about £25 delivered brand new from Amazon. It's a clone of the OC2 with an additional switchable drive setting that adds a nice, useable synthy dirt sound. Also tracked reliably to a low G! If I ever need an octaver again that'll be the one I'll buy...
[/quote]

Any chance you could send me some sound clips? Im using it primarily for low notes, how is the tracking?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1468695522' post='3092754']
I second the Chord OC50 - I only sold mine because I'd built my own OC2 clone. Would I have one again? Definitely.
[/quote]

OC-2 clone? Did you make the tracking a bit cleaner? 🤔

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1468695146' post='3092752']
Mine's long gone I'm afraid... It sounds like an OC2 and, as I said, mine tracked REALLY well.
[/quote]
[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1468695522' post='3092754']
I second the Chord OC50 - I only sold mine because I'd built my own OC2 clone. Would I have one again? Definitely.
[/quote]
[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1468695606' post='3092755']
Another vote for the Chord OC50 from me!
[/quote]

Thanks guys! Would any of you be able to send me any clips of the pedal? Just so i can get an idea of the sound. I'm considering saving longer for the OC-3 what do you think? also hows the reliability?

Reliability on the chord pedal is brilliant. They come in a cast metal case with heavy duty switch and controls. I've had a couple of chord pedals over the years (chorus and octave) and I've never had one fail. I was expecting a fairly flimsy plastic jobbie for the money, but was really surprised with the quality.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1468697838' post='3092776']
Reliability on the chord pedal is brilliant. They come in a cast metal case with heavy duty switch and controls. I've had a couple of chord pedals over the years (chorus and octave) and I've never had one fail. I was expecting a fairly flimsy plastic jobbie for the money, but was really surprised with the quality.
[/quote]
[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1468696709' post='3092766']
Well either you want a monophonic analogue octaver or you don't. The OC3 is all digital and sounds like it to my ears. Have a look on YouTube for OC2 clips, the OC50 sounds the same.
[/quote]

Thank you both, I'll definitely consider it if its a decent contender against the OC-3

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1468702814' post='3092807']
I'd say you'd pick up an OC-2 for sub £80?!
Certainly the Taiwan models

Si
[/quote]

That's what I was gonna say. Mine was £65 posted, from France! Bought here on BC about 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1468701362' post='3092798']
If you don't need solo octave, the best cheap one I've used is the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. You used to be able to pick them up for as little as £25 but prices have gone up since they were discontinued!
[/quote]

I agree with this. But yes.. they're discontinued.

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1468755608' post='3093076']
The EBS octabass has been going for roughly £50-£60 great sounding octave and tracks very well not as dirty as the OC2.
out of interest what show are you doing?
[/quote]

I did see a few of those and they are quite nice. Legally Blonde

Great show! And some very tasty bass lines!! I was asked to do sister act before the Christmas,however I couldn't due to moving. There is an oc2 up at the mo for £80,however to get it to track fast lines well,its best to play right up the neck,great sound though 😆

• 3 weeks later...