Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, narrow-necked 5 stringers...

Paul S

I recently acquired a Hohner B2V doer-upper in what I considered to be last ditch attempt to try and get on with a 5 string bass. To my surprise, I can play it much better than others I have tried. For one thing it is very lightweight - I cannot wear a bass over 9lbs so at around 7.5lbs this is good. Also the string spacing and neck width is much narrower than any I have tried before - 9mm apart at the nut and 43mm overall width. I believe that is narrow by 5er standards? I think this must be the key to the whole thing for me.

So it makes me wonder what other lightweight 5ers there are out there with very narrow spacing at the nut? Does anyone have any particular favourites that fit the bill - under 9lbs and under 45mm at the nut? I could open up a whole new can of 5 string GAS...

Muchas gracias :)

Edited by Paul S

My Spector Forte 5 weighs 8.8 lbs, has a slim neck profile and a nut width of 45 mm. String spacing is 16.75 mm at the bridge. It's a lovely bass and balances great with Hipshot tuners.

Have to say, any narrower on the nut and string spacing and I think you'll be risking the strings rattling off each other and not much dig-in finger space. IMO the Spector has got it just right.

This screams for Ibanez SoundGear or Spector Euro5.
Based on my experience of both I'd say the necks are slimmer on the SR but the sound makes up for the slight increase of thickness of the Euro5 neck. Width at the nut is the same IIRC. I love the Ibanez SR six strings but for 5 string, the Spector is the winner.
I'm also a sucker for tight spacing and slim necks.

Thanks for the replies! Looks like the Ibanez SR series are nosing ahead at the moment. I had an SR800 for a while and weight/neck were perfect although at the time I found the tone a bit 'modern'. SG Nanyo Bass Collection the same, really. Not keen on the look of Spectres.

Yamaha BB 5er - had no idea they were that narrow at the neck. Tone would be perfect, just a question of weight - I had a BB414 for a while but it was over 9lbs - if a lighter one came along it might be perfect.

What about Peavey 5 ers? Any light ones?
I also wondered about Epiphone T Bird Pro V?
Or The Sterling By Musicman range, SUB or SB 5ers?
Fender Dimension?

Mind you, not much wrong with the Hohner BV.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1468696000' post='3092757']
What about the Bass Collection ones ? Definitely lightweight and narrow necks too.

There's one in the classifieds, seller could give you the spacings.
[/quote]
Probably not, they have string spacing of 19mm at the bridge and relatively wide flat necks.

I would be looking at Ibanez.

I have to be careful how I answer this one as I don't want to get in to trouble for advertising. However, depending on your budget, I would definitely recommend Dingwall basses. Especially the AB1. Mine weighs in at just 8lbs and has a very slim nut. Furthermore, one of the most important bits is that it balances perfectly on the leg. There is no headstock dive at all. Which means that when on the strap, there's no pulling on the shoulder either - which of course makes the bass feel much lighter too. Nice slim nut!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1468751273' post='3093039']
I have to be careful how I answer this one as I don't want to get in to trouble for advertising. However, depending on your budget, I would definitely recommend Dingwall basses. Especially the AB1. Mine weighs in at just 8lbs and has a very slim nut. Furthermore, one of the most important bits is that it balances perfectly on the leg. There is no headstock dive at all. Which means that when on the strap, there's no pulling on the shoulder either - which of course makes the bass feel much lighter too. Nice slim nut!
[/quote]

Dingwall was my first thought about this too. I'd throw in the ABZ models as with the swamp ash bodies they can be very light, my ABZ 5 is 7.9lbs iirc. The nut is 45.5mm (if the 0.5mm will make a difference). 18mm string spacing, which I like as a nice compromise between narrower 16.5mm and 19mm on a 5 string, and has the most comfortable neck profile of basically every other bass i've played.

I've recently had to go through a re-assessment of playing posture, weight distribution of instruments, fretting hand tensions etc. As I found myself suffering from repeated neck strains. So far, during the ~4 months of owning a Dingwall with correct strap setup, playing poster etc., I've had no re-occurring strains or injuries!

Before the Dingwall my goto 5 string was a Yamaha BB 425x which was really heavy (as were all the other new yamaha BB's i've played), but I really liked the 18mm spacing and narrow nut. The Dingwall was basically the perfect upgrade, similar spacings and I actually prefer the slightly wider nut.

One thing I found that helped with the Yamaha BB was getting a gruv gear Duo strap, so the weight of the bass is distributed over both shoulders. Using it with my Dingwall now, well, I barely feel the weight of the bass when standing up!

Edited by EvilSmile

[quote name='EvilSmile' timestamp='1468762657' post='3093145']
Dingwall was my first thought about this too. I'd throw in the ABZ models as with the swamp ash bodies they can be very light, my ABZ 5 is 7.9lbs iirc. The nut is 45.5mm (if the 0.5mm will make a difference). 18mm string spacing, which I like as a nice compromise between narrower 16.5mm and 19mm on a 5 string, and has the most comfortable neck profile of basically every other bass i've played.

I've recently had to go through a re-assessment of playing posture, weight distribution of instruments, fretting hand tensions etc. As I found myself suffering from repeated neck strains. So far, during the ~4 months of owning a Dingwall with correct strap setup, playing poster etc., I've had no re-occurring strains or injuries!

Before the Dingwall my goto 5 string was a Yamaha BB 425x which was really heavy (as were all the other new yamaha BB's i've played), but I really liked the 18mm spacing and narrow nut. The Dingwall was basically the perfect upgrade, similar spacings and I actually prefer the slightly wider nut.

One thing I found that helped with the Yamaha BB was getting a gruv gear Duo strap, so the weight of the bass is distributed over both shoulders. Using it with my Dingwall now, well, I barely feel the weight of the bass when standing up!
[/quote]

Now you are reminding me why I should keep my Dingwall!!! Absolutely +1 to that. It really is an effortless instrument to play for a 2 hour gig.

I sold on one bass because it was too light for my personal taste, so seems appropriate to bring it up here - an ESP LTD B-415 SM.

Thru neck, really slim and fast, and EMGs for a great balanced tone across all the strings. personally I prefer passive p/ups for a bit more character and the hardware was a little flimsy, but mainly I prefer a bit of heft to the bass. But personal prejudices aside, I couldn't really fault it for playability and sound. Also, very pretty

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1469018190' post='3095096']
Dingwall is around £1700 too much for me, sadly....

Specific question -
Does anyone know the weight of a Sterling by Musicman SUB Ray5?

Ta!
[/quote]

The full fat Ray 5s can be 12lb or can be just over 9lb. They vary a lot so you'd have to try each one.

i managed to find a low weight one, and then I got rid of another half-pound by swapping the tuners to Hipshot Ultralites.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1468705944' post='3092836']
My Spector Forte 5 weighs 8.8 lbs, has a slim neck profile and a nut width of 45 mm. String spacing is 16.75 mm at the bridge. It's a lovely bass and balances great with Hipshot tuners.

Have to say, any narrower on the nut and string spacing and I think you'll be risking the strings rattling off each other and not much dig-in finger space. IMO the Spector has got it just right.
[/quote]

thart is an absolute beaut

Yes, I do like Hohners! That might well have been a contender, I think. Do you know what the string spacing/neck width is? I recall yours is a 6er?

BTW I ended up splashing out on the Sterling 5er that was advertised on here. After all, it is only money.

The Sterling Sub Ray 5 was quite a light bass, I had one, and the neck wasn't too wide. It was bigger than the SRs, but not huge. The neck was similar to the G&L L2500, maybe a bit smaller, although that bass is much heavier.

It sounds really like you are describing an ibanez SR. They are very light, although not as light as the hohner obviously (I have a 4 string one).

Ah I see you got the Sterling 5. I am sure you will be happy with it. I quite liked it, gigged it a few times, think I swapped mine in the end, can't remember what for.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1469388747' post='3097945']
Yes, I do like Hohners! That might well have been a contender, I think. Do you know what the string spacing/neck width is? I recall yours is a 6er?

BTW I ended up splashing out on the Sterling 5er that was advertised on here. After all, it is only money.
[/quote]

Mine was a 5er. If I recall, ther string spacing at the bridge was on the neat side of 16mm - maybe even less. Nice through neck, and decent Jazz-type sound. Pre-amp was ok too.

G.