Why become a member? ×

Controls on markbass compressore

Adonbass

Hi,

Just a quick on can some one simply explain the controls on the markbass compressore. Does turning the knobs clockwise do the following

Increase threshold
Increase ratio (so at full clockwise turn 1:1)
Increase attack time
Increase release time

I'm really struggling in using this compressore to any benefit and wondering if I simply don't "get" how compression works. If I can't get any joy soon it's gonna have to go, such a waste just sitting in its box most of its life.

Firstly, this video may help give some background to compression, any video about compression in regards to audio editing or mixing/recording will be your best bet in understanding how to use this pedal with bass.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs3fux5HY

Below is a very rough description of what the knobs do, I've never owned the pedal but this is based on basic compressor knowledge.

By turning your threshold knob clockwise you will be essentially increasing the "sensitivity" of the compressor (in lay mans terms) there is a "sweet spot" which is unique to your taste. It essentially dictates when the compressor kicks in and dictates how much gain reduction will occur.

The ratio knob when turned clockwise should increase the ratio so from the "off" position 1:1 and without reading the manual the knob fully turned clockwise could be something like 20:1 which is a limiting ratio.

The attack and release knobs will both increase the attack and release times as the knob is turned clockwise.

The gain input will also have an impact on where your threshold will be set and the volume will just be make up gain because once a compressor is used you may notice some drop in volume so that's used to bring it back up to its original level.

I would read the manual and YouTube a few videos on compression. I spent so long feeling confused about compression but after YouTube research you'd be surprised how much you will learn.
http://www.markbass.it/upload_area/files/fname/users_manual_COMPRESSORE.pdf

Start by turning the pedal off, set a conservative gain level so maybe 9 o'clock maybe a little more. Ignore the threshold for now and set a low attack so around 8/9 o'clock and put the release up at 12 o'clock. Set the volume to just above the gain knob setting for now. Now turn the pedal on and focus on the threshold knob. A yellow light will turn on when the pedal is compressing your signal and according to the manual it will increase in intensity as the compression becomes more intense. Use your ears more than your eyes but use it as a gauge to find a nice amount of compression using the threshold knob, then adjust your volume control to make sure the bypassed level and effected level are the same and bobs your uncle, a basic compression setting to get you started

Edited by Mattbass97

I made a few edits above so give it a thorough reading. And to those who know a lot more about compression than myself, this is not a reflection of my ability when using compression haha, simply a simplified version of it for explanation purposes.