Why become a member? ×

Getting my fuzz on...

bassjamm

Oi oi folks!

Bit of a brain fart/dump coming up...apologies.

I'm getting into some weird sounds at the moment. Most recently, the band Cloudeater, and some of John Davis' stuff with Nerve.

Seems he's using a Zvex Woolly Mammoth for his fuzz.

Now, I'm new to fuzz and what not. But, I've been have a gander online...seems the Aguilar Fuzzistor is a bit naughty.

Can the more knowledgable amongst you help me figure out the differences between the Aguilar Fuzzistor and the Zvex Woolly Mammoth please? Or, of course...through in some other thoughts.

Bit of context...i've got a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket, Boss OC2 and an Ibanez Bass Synth. I've not yet used the Bottle Rocket successfully with the OC2 and Synth...I want to get nice oh at fuzz in there, hence this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help and input everyone.

J

Before you venture into the world of fuzz. Do yourself a money saving favour and check out the Big muff series by EHX. Some love them and some hate them but the new stuff like the nano bass big muff does the job. Also for Zvex check out the mastotron (£80 in the classifieds) a hell of a lot cheaper than the mammoth but just as dirty

Edited by Mattbass97

Each of those fuzzes have some drawbacks; the Aguilar doesn't play well with high output basses (even passive ones) and the Mammoth only sounds good connected directly to a passive bass with no buffers/preamps/pedals in between. The Mastotron is hard to dial in and often has too much or not enough bass!

For synthy stuff a Diabolik, Prunes & Custard or Source Audio Multiwave or Manta get my vote! But pretty much any fuzz, even the EHX BBM, will sound good going into a filter.

Thanks for the info and the input guys.

I've messed about with my Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket a bit and got a nice sound with that. But I'm no genius. Just sounds good to me.

Got the signal going...

OC2 > Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket > Ibanez Bass Synth

Sounds pretty naughty. Wouldn't mind trying out some other fuzzes though...and a Moogerfooger LP1.

A Moog LPF eh?
Now yer talkin.. I never looked back after getting mine. My favourite pedal hands down.
I currently use a Mastotron as my main synthy fuzz, always prefered it over the Mammoth.
I also use an Iron Ether oxide for staccato like gated fuzz. I've found this pedal to have the 'tightest' gate if that makes sense.
I've just added a Cog unit to my board with a Tarkin (muff style) fuzz unit built in that's pretty damn impressive if I'm honest.
Like Mattbass said tho, EHX is well worth checking. I used to rock a BBM in dry mode boosted with an Xotic BB, one of the best dirty tones EVER (Dannybuoy will confirm this)
There's still fuzzes I want to try and own, it's never ending.. But yeh, you GOTS to get yo fuzz on ;)

Edited by Tuco

welcome to a very slippery slope!

some fuzzes will work for you that sound awful to others! so best bet is to try a few the ehx muff never really worked in my setup, now the cog and the fuzzrocious muff sound great!

also work a gander is the green carrot pedals pumpkin pie! 2 sick fuzzes, and for octave fun as well the Redwitch Zeus is fantastic!

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1468791063' post='3093397']
A Moog LPF eh?

Now yer talkin.. I never looked back after getting mine. My favourite pedal hands down.
[/quote]

Yeah man...want to be able to create some pretty whacky sounds. I think the Moog is a must for that.

Not going to lie though...most of this stuff goes waaaaay over my head. I'm just enjoying messing about with stuff.

I play bass for a mate who writes sing/song writer kind of stuff. We've just released an album. Next one is going to be a lot more whacky...less conventional.

We jammed a bit yesterday with my pedals and it was pretty exciting stuff.

As for the fuzz stuff...think I'm going to get my hands on a Fuzz Against The Machine pedal 😎

I've noticed my Bottle Rocket is fairly noisy. It's just sending any and every sound mental. Even when I'm not playing...its picking up frequencies and going nuts.

...though, I think that was mainly when I had it after the Ibanez synth pedal. I can't remember for sure.

Always have loved that Bottle Rocket though.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1468794935' post='3093420']
some fuzzes will work for you that sound awful to others! so best bet is to try a few the ehx muff never really worked in my setup, now the cog and the fuzzrocious muff sound great!

also work a gander is the green carrot pedals pumpkin pie! 2 sick fuzzes, and for octave fun as well the Redwitch Zeus is fantastic!
[/quote]

Thanks for that stuff. Sounds like I won't have much beer money for a while 😜

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1468794935' post='3093420']

[/quote]

Thanks for that stuff. Sounds like I won't have much beer money for a while 😜

• 2 weeks later...

You probably saw my stuff in the Effects For Sale section but I was using that board with my Live DnB band thebrokendoor. I took great inspiration from John Davis too, and you can get some amazing sounds from the OC2>Mammoth>Moog combo. There's a reason the Mammoth is so popular and I was using it after a TU2 and it sounded AMAZING.

I was using it as a waveform generator and treating my signal path as a modular synth so I didn't want a traditional fuzz sound, instead I wanted it to be the most Mammoth it could be!

[quote name='Mattbass97' timestamp='1468750629' post='3093032']
Before you venture into the world of fuzz. Do yourself a money saving favour and check out the Big muff series by EHX. Some love them and some hate them but the new stuff like the nano bass big muff does the job. Also for Zvex check out the mastotron (£80 in the classifieds) a hell of a lot cheaper than the mammoth but just as dirty
[/quote]

+1 to this, I'm not sure if it's technically a fuzz or what... but I have the bass big muff and it's the only 'fuzz' type effect I like. I can never seem to get a usable sound, in a band context, from fuzz pedals (and yet I keep buying them!) which is probably down to my lack of knowledge/understanding but the bass big muff seems to work for me... and because of this I currently have a Mastotron and a Fuzz Factory in the classifieds!