Why become a member? ×

Bass Rig Choice

Kevin Dean

My choice is based on it being made in the UK & weight mainly, But once you get into a certain budget say anything above £350 per cab & £500 for the head does it really make any difference ? reliability & customer service is also a consideration I suppose .
I was thinking about how many rigs Mark King has had & He always sounds like Mark King .

We`ve noticed this on the various shoot-outs of gear we`ve done at the Bass Bashes, set to what is expected to be flat, amps/cabs/Precisions/preamp pedals, there`s not much in the core sounds. And luckliy out of all the gear we`ve tried there`s not been a bit yet that I wouldn`t have been happy with. Of course once you start tinkering with the eq their own individual "flavours" start to appear, but on the whole, unless setting out for a very specific tone/sound, a generic bass tone is pretty easily found through most items.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1468752310' post='3093045']
My choice is based on it being made in the UK & weight mainly, But once you get into a certain budget say anything above £350 per cab & £500 for the head does it really make any difference ? reliability & customer service is also a consideration I suppose .
I was thinking about how many rigs Mark King has had & He always sounds like Mark King .
[/quote]

You might take price and quality for granted, but I don't think it is that simple.
I think there are small gains to make... but it depends if the price difference is worth it to you.

I think my rig is pretty much the best out there ..and the B rig is not too shabby either.
You can still shaft the sound if you don't take care...but I think sound starts at the way you play and set up the bass,
and then it is a question of not fighting it too much.
You want to get to a position where you can use the sound you want... rather that the sound you have to have.The latter often doesn't end well as you are always chasing ..

I'm lucky, after many years I've found a lightweight rig that works for me. Yes I could improve it (and I will at some point) a pair of TKS 112 will do it but it what I have fits in the car (with the PA and Lights).
My gear wasn't expensive, ampeg PF500 was £350 new, one of my Mark bass cabs was £150 s/h and the other was £190 s/h.
£690 all in and I rarely need the 2nd cab, in fact I've used it twice in 4 years.

For what its worth I play prog rock and 80s/90s covers, tried the Aguilar route (TH500/SL112s) but they didnt give me the 80s tone and couldn't compete with loud drums and lead, ended up trying a tecamp head which took me half there but it wasn't until i added in Vanderkely cabs that I had found what I needed. I guess its just worth trying gear until you say "that's it" - I think this months Bass Player mag will have a shoot out of a good number of lightweight heads.

Comes down to personal choice as with everything... My glockenklang sounded better than anything else I've had and if my rig requirements were based soley on tone id get a full weight BAC head and 6x10... But j have other considerations so have compromised with my current set up.