Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Gigging Amp

Schnozzalee

There must be a previous Thread related to this but I can't find it so...

What's the best Lightweight Gigging Amp at the moment? I don't mind if it's a combo or a stack and I'm flexible with my budget.

When I was last playing around 2010, most were choosing a Genz Benz Streamliner w/ Neodynium Cabs and I want to know what the favourite is now?

I play mostly 60s - 90s music and I don't want to go too modern.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I'm on a similar quest. I definitely haven't given up on class D just yet.

I have only been gigging for a few years as a bass player, but luckily I've been spoilt for choice when it comes to borrowing rigs from friends. I've played everything from giant Trace combo's to ultra heavy SVT's with a pair of 410's. That sort of stuff commands the stage, but it's just not feasible to bring those kinds of amps to a gig without at least a van. Plus, in my experience with tube amps, you're looking at a broken down rig at least once every season. I think those big amps are just too cumbersome and vulnerable for anything other than (semi) professional touring. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but it makes no sense for a simple weekend warrior like me.

I've tried Markbass, which is loud, but the amps I played had that unpleasant 'woof' to them (I don't know how to describe it any other way) that sort of drowns out all other sounds and leaves the whole band complaining. I've tried EBS, which, although very nice, was just a tad too clean for me. And I've tried the Ampeg heads, but I didn't like the EQ preset thing they've got going on. So I bought an Eden 500 watt class D amp which sounds amazing, but guess what, it runs out of steam disappointingly quickly. Swings and roundabouts.

Sorry, that got a bit long winded. But there HAS to be a proper sounding and powerful class D out there for me. I wouldn't even mind if it weighed a few extra pounds.

I'm sceptical, not about class D amps, but more about SMPS. So until SMPS catches up with the output characteristics of a transformer, (and I'm confident that it will), I'm using a Thunderfunk TFB550. (I have a Mesa Walkabout too but it's been somewhat retired since I bought the Thunderfunk).

However... my new EBS Reidmar 750 is a bit of an improvement. I gigged it twice over the weekend and I can say that I'm very impressed with the power. It's clean sounding,so takes a bit of getting used to. But the tone is flexible and due to the "drive" knob, it can get grindy if that's your sound. I like it clean though.

Overall, it's a great amp for a very reasonable price.

Don't just listen to my opinion though. Try it for yourself. <_<

Frank.

PS. I used the EBS with a Barefaced BB2 on one gig and BB2 + Barefaced Super Midget on the other. Really though, the BB2 is enough on its own.

I've recently bought a Genzler Magellan, the new Class D amps are very good indeed. If you liked your Streamliner (I had one of those for a long time), you'll love it. A very flexible, versatile amp which takes its cues from the Shuttles and Streamliners but improves on both significantly.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1468769708' post='3093194']I play mostly 60s - 90s music and I don't want to go too modern.
[/quote]

The Aguilar Tone Hammer has to be worth a try. I like mine. Pair it with a lightweight cab or two for portable old school tones.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1468852630' post='3093772']
The Aguilar Tone Hammer has to be worth a try.
[/quote]

Yup. I've had the Eden WTX260 and WTX500, the GK MB500, The Orange Terror Bass OTB500, and the Aguilar TH350.

They were all good, and all very capable of handling any pub-type gig while delivering the "[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]mostly 60s - 90s music[/font][/color][/i]" that Schnozz asks for.

Of the five of them, though, the one that's stuck is the TH350. I take it to every gig, even when I'm playing through my Matamp GT100, because it's not only light, versatile and bullet-proof, but it's also small enough to fit in the front pocket of my gig bag as a spare.

Not saying "[i]it's the best[/i]", like that would mean something. Just that it ticks my boxes very neatly. And I've never even come close to running out of headroom.

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1468867051' post='3093924']
Without wishing to derail the OPs thread, what reservations to people have with class D amps. Assuming that it's nothing to do do with the weight and portability off the class D what other issues do you have with solid state or valve amps
[/quote]

The output stage. I think volume isn't the issue..they can be loud enough but I feel they lack authority.
Having sad that..plenty of amps do which is why my alternative to my class D is a big block with a heavy (very) heavy transformer in it.
I was having this discussion with an amp designer of quite a reverered brand and he said the same thing.
As much as he wanted to have a class D option, he couldn't find that that worked as he wanted at his price point.

So, I get the impression that Class D doesn't work for bass, IMO, unless yu have a very capable (expensive) power stage
which kind of floats against 99% of the bass market, at present..??

Without wishing to derail the OPs thread, what reservations to people have with class D amps. Assuming that it's nothing to do do with the weight and portability off the class D what other issues do you have with solid state or valve amps
[/quote]
Loads of threads on this already. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285809-heft-from-heavy-amp-or-from-lightweight-amp-pedals/"]Here's a starter for ten[/url].

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468868729' post='3093940']

The output stage. I think volume isn't the issue..they can be loud enough but I feel they lack authority.
Having sad that..plenty of amps do which is why my alternative to my class D is a big block with a heavy (very) heavy transformer in it.
I was having this discussion with an amp designer of quite a reverered brand and he said the same thing.
As much as he wanted to have a class D option, he couldn't find that that worked as he wanted at his price point.

So, I get the impression that Class D doesn't work for bass, IMO, unless yu have a very capable (expensive) power stage
which kind of floats against 99% of the bass market, at present..??

Thanks for your opinions and advice. Will be looking to change my current set up soon, so don't want to buy something that's going to run out of steam or sound thin
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would add to the other replies that I think some class D with SMPS amps really only display their weakness at high volume. At reasonable volumes, especially with the more recent crop, sound every bit as good as another class of amp.

In my opinion of course and I'm always right. <_< :P

Frank.

FWIW, I think some opinions on Class D are behind the times with the newer generation of amps which have come out recently - I'm thinking about the Magellan, the RM800, the Subway, etc. Understandable as there's relatively few of them about.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1468872678' post='3093985']
FWIW, I think some opinions on Class D are behind the times with the newer generation of amps which have come out recently - I'm thinking about the Magellan, the RM800, the Subway, etc. Understandable as there's relatively few of them about.
[/quote]

Understandable............ but this conversation with the designer is a only a few months old and he has only just relased his new amp so he would have access the latest power stages. I'll check with him but my feelings about class D extend to the TH500, which is why I sold it.

And I am definitely a fan of Aguilar.

Consider me a believer. Unfortunately, my Eden WTX 500 fails just short of making it work. However, that one's not a powerful amp by any standards, so my guess is one of these days there's going to be an amp that's going to hit the trade-off just right in order to sway popular opinion.

Or not. I guess we'll have to see. :P

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1468879696' post='3094067']
Consider me a believer. Unfortunately, my Eden WTX 500 fails just short of making it work. However, that one's not a powerful amp by any standards, so my guess is one of these days there's going to be an amp that's going to hit the trade-off just right in order to sway popular opinion.

Or not. I guess we'll have to see. :P
[/quote]

The EBS Reidmar 750 seems to me to be more ballsy than other class D amps I've owned. It has big swingers actually. :)

Frank.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468875116' post='3094008']
Understandable............ but this conversation with the designer is a only a few months old and he has only just relased his new amp so he would have access the latest power stages. I'll check with him but my feelings about class D extend to the TH500, which is why I sold it.

And I am definitely a fan of Aguilar.
[/quote]

Who is this designer JTUK? Spill the beans. :P

Frank.

I'm using Streamliner 900 through 2 x Focus 112's. Does it all for me at every gig.

So much so I'm looking to "downgrade" to a Streamliner 600.
Even against mic'd up drummer, the bloody thing is hardly switched on.

Plenty of low end thump, yet Jaco sound always available from short-ish solo intro to one number, and a bit of 'Arry when needed.

In 40 years I've played through a LOT of gear, but my little rig just thumps for Britain :)