Why become a member? ×

pickup suggestions

d-basser

Dunno if this is the right part of the forum, please move if not

I am thinking of saving for some new pickups for my Peavey Grind NTB 6

I got the bass cause it was really cheap for a sixer (from Thomann). It is pretty well built and i like the woods and dimension etc. but the electronics are a bit guff. I am thinking about saving for a John East pre but i want new pups to. Only thing is they seem to be awkward size. I think they are the same width as normal soap bars but they are 105mm long. All 6 string soapbars are 115mm long.
I could always get some and get the bass routed but i like to rest my thumb on the pickups some times and i dont know if the reach would be comfy.

Any suggestions? I would be willing to get it routed but if some one knows of smaller soapbars or affordable custom sized pups i would be grateful.

Well, if you don't mind a good passive bass, I would recommend Villex pickups. This would also save you the money of an onboard preamp (of course though they will be more expensive than usual passive pickups). Other than that, I love Dingwall FD-3s, but you should contact them to see if they can make a pair the size you want and how much it will cost.
I've often thought about that, if I had to get a budget bass it would be a Peavey Grind or Cirrus with Villex pups...

hmm thanks for the move, i was unsure as i said, and thanks for the suggestion will consider villex when i have some money saved, would you recommend installing villex pups and one of those twiddly tone knobs that was reviewed here? the bass has two tone knobs already for some unbeknown reason as it doesnt seem to need more than one.

More suggestions appreciated :)

-Dan

I suspect you'll have a difficult job trying to find direct replacements for Peavey pickups because of the dimensions. You could get some custom made to fit but you also have the option of saving for a bass where the electronics and pickups might be to your liking.

Villex does custom shapes. I've already had shapes of different Bartolini pickups and EMGs made from Villex and I've not regretted a bit. And it's not two tone pots. it's one tone pot and one mid-control. The first is a normal tone pot; the latter allows for mid manipulation in a very musical way. this way you hardly need any preamp

IMO yes. I have barts in my Dingwall and I can't wait to get rid of them and put some Dingwalls in - but I have also heard Villex pickups and I would say they are equal, but maybe they are a bit more straightforward and "classic" sounding whereas the dingwalls have more frequency analysis - if that makes any sense. Still, I would also be very pleased with Villex, and I think you will be too.