Why become a member? ×

DI box + Mic help

Cscsiga

Hey fellow players,

I'd like to ask for some suggestions.

When I play live, my main sound comes from my amp (what a suprprise), so usually I mic my cab. But I noticed that I don't have enough low end with it. My sound has distortion almost all the time, okay I can say all the time.

I think the best solution would be a DI box before the amp. Then a tech guy could bring some low end to the pa-s.
What kind of DI box would you recommend just for the low ends?

I play on a Sunn beta bass.

Thanks

I use the Sansamp, everything set at midday (so as flat as possible). The added low end it brings in is great. If you`re experimenting on this area, a cheap way to see if it works is the Behringer BDI21. It`s almost the same as the Sansamp, but a great deal cheaper - £30 compared to £200 (not sure what that equates to in Forints though).

When mixing a band I often use a DI inserted before any pedals to send a completely clean sound to the desk in combination with a mic on the cab. This means I can process and blend the two signals to get a big fat bottom end from the DI and all the grind, dirt and clank of the mids and high end from the mic. Works a treat.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1469011242' post='3095024']
When mixing a band I often use a DI inserted before any pedals to send a completely clean sound to the desk in combination with a mic on the cab. This means I can process and blend the two signals to get a big fat bottom end from the DI and all the grind, dirt and clank of the mids and high end from the mic. Works a treat.
[/quote]

Going from what I've read on here, a few of the "Tone Purists" that say you won't get the sound of their "tone" would probably turn their nose up at you.

You are correct though - that's the way to do it.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1469025116' post='3095188']

Going from what I've read on here, a few of the "Tone Purists" that say you won't get the sound of their "tone" would probably turn their nose up at you.

You are correct though - that's the way to do it.
[/quote]

I've certainly had no complaints from any of my regular bands once they've heard it thundering through a large rig, but its always easier with people who realise you're all working together and that us sound guys aren't trying to stitch them up for our own nefarious tone-ruining goals.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1469028337' post='3095217']
I've certainly had no complaints from any of my regular bands once they've heard it thundering through a large rig, but its always easier with people who realise you're all working together and that us sound guys aren't trying to stitch them up for our own nefarious tone-ruining goals.
[/quote]

Unless they are the support act, naturally ;)

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1469040773' post='3095343']

Oh, of course. When the support act are on, I strike all of the d&b wedges and replace them with dB ones too.
[/quote]

You are naughty... But I like you.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1469011242' post='3095024']
[/quote]

Tired and tested. Same thing we do in the studio.

Thank you for the answers. First I'll try the DI box before the pedals (now I don't really use any, the tone of the beta bass is rad enough. I just use a tuner). If it works great with the simple di box, I'd save myself from the sansamp which price is a kind of robbery.